IBJNews

George reportedly submits offer to buy IndyCar

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share

A group led by Tony George submitted an offer to Hulman & Co. this week to buy the IndyCar open-wheel race circuit, Sports Business Journal reported on Friday.

As reported by IBJ Oct. 1, George’s investor group is said to include several team owners who compete in the series, including motorsports heavyweights Chip Ganassi, Roger Penske, Kevin Kalkhoven and Michael Andretti. Zak Brown, owner of Zionsville-based Just Marketing International, a motorsports marketing agency, also is reported to be part of the investor group.

Owners of Hulman & Co. and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which controls the IndyCar Series, refused today to confirm or deny that an offer was received and repeated that they have no interest in selling the series.

Sports Business Journal motorsports reporter Tripp Mickle said a reliable source told him that George has hired law firm Faegre Baker Daniels to help study the open-wheel race series’ financials and put together a proposal.

Sources told IBJ George’s offer is a seven-figure cash proposal to take over management and assume future losses for the series.

The IndyCar Series has lost money every year since it was founded in 1996 by George. Sources told IBJ for an Oct. 8 story that while the annual loss has decreased over the last two years, it was $7 million for the 2012 season.

George, who was formerly head of the IndyCar Series and Indianapolis Motor Speedway, led a deal in 2008 to consolidate open-wheel racing after IndyCar Series' 12-year split with rival CART.

George resigned under pressure in 2009 after butting heads with his three sisters and mother, who led the board that oversaw the race series and Speedway.

The board in 2009 replaced George with Jeff Belskus as CEO of the Speedway. That same year, board members offered to let George remain as IndyCar CEO, but he declined. George also resigned from the board overseeing the track and series. He was replaced as IndyCar Series CEO by Randy Bernard.

In 2011, George came back on the board overseeing the series and Speedway.

The series recently completed a season plagued by declining television ratings and tepid live attendance. Several team owners became angry with Bernard over escalating prices for parts to the new chassis he introduced this year and other series management issues.

Undaunted, Bernard earlier this month announced a 16-event, 19-race IndyCar schedule for 2013.

One source inside the series told IBJ this week that “Bernard is hanging by a thread. A very thin thread.”

 

ADVERTISEMENT

  • the story continues
    what does Zak say?
  • more
    so, the story continues. what does Zak say?
  • No truth to this at all...
    ....and neither is the rumor the Iranians are building a nuclear bomb. LOL, Doug Boles must think the gullible are biting on that tripe. Bwahahhahha, one insider is!
  • 25/8
    A statement from Doug Boles is about as reliable as a statment from you.
  • Reality Check for the Obsessed
    With what portion of 'the series IS NOT FOR SALE' are the obsessed having problems wrapping their tiny brains around? "I guess that's probably why we're so unequivocal in our comment to say that the series is not for sale because we want the story to end. I guess the best way to end it is just to say that the series is not for sale and if others just choose to go on with the story I guess that's up to them I don't know how we can be more clear than to say that the IndyCar Series is not for sale". Doug Boles - Vice President Of Communications Hulman & Companies
  • So he got the family
    to spend over 700 million dollars on his hobby and now he is offering pennies to take it over. That'll work. The owners working with him must not have any plans for their new series to be popular.
  • Strange bedfellows
    Tony started IRL, in part, because he disagreed with the owners having so much power; and now he's in bed with some of the same owners he opposed in '96. Can we spell H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-S-Y? I thought he got a raw deal, but I'm begining to think perhaps Ma and the sisters knew what they were doing.
  • interesting proposal
    Certainly an interesting group of owner investors - who obviously believe and support Tony's efforts and all want to make concerted effort to succeed. I think they deserve to be heard. Though the Hulman's obviouvly want to keep this strictly in the family.
  • Crazy
    Tony George is crazy. Why does he think that he can do a better job of running the series that he couldn't do in his first 12 years? Where is he going to keep the deep amounts of cash to keep the series afloat?
  • Lovin it
    This more grater news. The IRL will rise again....from the ashes of the IRL.
  • Hahahhahhahabwahhahha
    Lost $7 MILLION in 2012. Fire where there's smoke! TV ratings DOWN 30% in 2012, attendance flat and receding, sanction fee almost non-existent, races cancelled. CART still dead, twice...but was faster, sexier, had a HUGE following, cars looked like AOW race cars, had more ovals and more Americans in it. The current IRL-ish Indy Carz are NOT the future...they are a freakish mutation. All hail TONY GEORGE and the OWNERS as the saviors of the sport!!! Rumor has it they will immediately bankrupt the series and start fresh. I support this message.
  • 25/8
    Um, uh Mommy, I um want to buy, um the IR, err the Indy Car series. I had a big, um yard sale and saved up a bunch of, um money. After you um fired me, I don't um feel that special. I am entitled, to um be the Inheritor. Ed won, why um can't I?

Post a comment to this story

COMMENTS POLICY
We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
 
You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
 
Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in IBJ editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
 
No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
 
We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.
 

Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

Sponsored by
ADVERTISEMENT

facebook - twitter on Facebook & Twitter

Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ on Facebook:
Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ's Tweets on these topics:
 
Subscribe to IBJ
  1. If I were a developer I would be looking at the Fountain Square and Fletcher Place neighborhoods instead of Broad Ripple. I would avoid the dysfunctional BRVA with all of their headaches. It's like deciding between a Blackberry or an iPhone 5s smartphone. BR is greatly in need of updates. It has become stale and outdated. Whereas Fountain Square, Fletcher Place and Mass Ave have become the "new" Broad Ripples. Every time I see people on the strip in BR on the weekend I want to ask them, "How is it you are not familiar with Fountain Square or Mass Ave? You have choices and you choose BR?" Long vacant storefronts like the old Scholar's Inn Bake House and ZA, both on prominent corners, hurt the village's image. Many business on the strip could use updated facades. Cigarette butt covered sidewalks and graffiti covered walls don't help either. The whole strip just looks like it needs to be power washed. I know there is more to the BRV than the 700-1100 blocks of Broad Ripple Ave, but that is what people see when they think of BR. It will always be a nice place live, but is quickly becoming a not-so-nice place to visit.

  2. I sure hope so and would gladly join a law suit against them. They flat out rob people and their little punk scam artist telephone losers actually enjoy it. I would love to run into one of them some day!!

  3. Biggest scam ever!! Took 307 out of my bank ac count. Never received a single call! They prey on new small business and flat out rob them! Do not sign up with these thieves. I filed a complaint with the ftc. I suggest doing the same ic they robbed you too.

  4. Woohoo! We're #200!!! Absolutely disgusting. Bring on the congestion. Indianapolis NEEDS it.

  5. So Westfield invested about $30M in developing Grand Park and attendance to date is good enough that local hotel can't meet the demand. Carmel invested $180M in the Palladium - which generates zero hotel demand for its casino acts. Which Mayor made the better decision?

ADVERTISEMENT