Did court split the baby?

February 29, 2008
Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share
If your friend or relative is hurt in a car accident, but you werenâ??t involved in the accident, is an insurance company obligated to pay you damages for emotional distress?

Until this week, the answer was yes.

The Indiana Supreme Court ruled Thursday that you must suffer emotional trauma by actually being involved in the accident before insurers are obligated to pay you for the trauma.

However, the court said you donâ??t need to be physically injured by the accident in order to collect, just emotionally distressed.

What do you think?

Post a comment to this blog

We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in IBJ editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.

Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

Sponsored by