IBJNews

Indiana House OKs early childhood education pilot program

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share

The Indiana House of Representatives overwhelmingly approved a pilot program Thursday that would pay for low-income children to attend preschool.

Families earning less than 185 percent of the federal poverty level would get state aid to send their children to preschool. The program was first proposed by House Republicans last year and is loosely connected to Gov. Mike Pence's call for an early childhood education plan.

The pilot plan would pick five counties and offer vouchers to families to send children to public or private preschools. The measure carries a roughly $25 million price tag, and Senate budget leaders have expressed concern it could open the state to increased spending at a time of decreasing tax collections.

"This bill, although a pilot, has an opportunity to make a significant statement to the state as proof that we're ready to take the next step in doing what's right for the children," said House Education Chairman Robert Behning, R-Indianapolis. The measure mirrors a proposal pushed last year by Behning and House Speaker Brian Bosma, R-Indianapolis.

The measure won bipartisan support Thursday, easily passing the House on an 87-9 vote.

"Let's not have what's wrong with the measure get in the way of what's right," said House Minority Leader Scott Pelath, D-Michigan City. "The fact of the matter is that, from our side of the aisle, there's a little continuing concern about the doubling down on the voucher methodology."

Pence praised Thursday's vote, even though the House plan falls well of the roughly 40,000 children the governor hoped would qualify for the plan. As he has with most of his agenda, the governor has laid out broad ideas in public and later added his name to measures crafted by House or Senate leaders, as opposed to submitting his own items for approval.

ADVERTISEMENT

  • how to get help
    So how can people sign up to get help? And what counties are going to get help?

Post a comment to this story

COMMENTS POLICY
We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
 
You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
 
Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in IBJ editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
 
No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
 
We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.
 

Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

Sponsored by
ADVERTISEMENT

facebook - twitter on Facebook & Twitter

Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ on Facebook:
Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ's Tweets on these topics:
 
Subscribe to IBJ
  1. How much you wanna bet, that 70% of the jobs created there (after construction) are minimum wage? And Harvey is correct, the vast majority of residents in this project will drive to their jobs, and to think otherwise, is like Harvey says, a pipe dream. Someone working at a restaurant or retail store will not be able to afford living there. What ever happened to people who wanted to build buildings, paying for it themselves? Not a fan of these tax deals.

  2. Uh, no GeorgeP. The project is supposed to bring on 1,000 jobs and those people along with the people that will be living in the new residential will be driving to their jobs. The walkable stuff is a pipe dream. Besides, walkable is defined as having all daily necessities within 1/2 mile. That's not the case here. Never will be.

  3. Brad is on to something there. The merger of the Formula E and IndyCar Series would give IndyCar access to International markets and Formula E access the Indianapolis 500, not to mention some other events in the USA. Maybe after 2016 but before the new Dallara is rolled out for 2018. This give IndyCar two more seasons to run the DW12 and Formula E to get charged up, pun intended. Then shock the racing world, pun intended, but making the 101st Indianapolis 500 a stellar, groundbreaking event: The first all-electric Indy 500, and use that platform to promote the future of the sport.

  4. No, HarveyF, the exact opposite. Greater density and closeness to retail and everyday necessities reduces traffic. When one has to drive miles for necessities, all those cars are on the roads for many miles. When reasonable density is built, low rise in this case, in the middle of a thriving retail area, one has to drive far less, actually reducing the number of cars on the road.

  5. The Indy Star announced today the appointment of a new Beverage Reporter! So instead of insightful reports on Indy pro sports and Indiana college teams, you now get to read stories about the 432nd new brewery open or some obscure Hoosier winery winning a county fair blue ribbon. Yep, that's the coverage we Star readers crave. Not.

ADVERTISEMENT