Fumes sicken 13 workers at Indiana State Fairgrounds

A spokesman says more than a dozen people have been taken to hospitals after they were sickened by fumes from gas-fueled power-washing equipment while working at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.

Fairgrounds spokesman Andy Klotz said 15 workers were power-washing floors at Exposition Hall about 12:30 p.m. Tuesday when two contract workers complained of lightheadedness. Two fairgrounds employees weren't affected. The 13 contract employees were taken to hospitals for treatment. Information on their conditions wasn't immediately available.

Klotz said the 74,000-square-foot building's doors were open but there was little wind to provide ventilation.

An official with contractor OnDemand didn't answer his phone.

Klotz says the building will be tested for carbon monoxide before people are allowed back in.

Please enable JavaScript to view this content.

Editor's note: IBJ is now using a new comment system. Your Disqus account will no longer work on the IBJ site. Instead, you can leave a comment on stories by signing in to your IBJ account. If you have not registered, please sign up for a free account now. Past comments are not currently showing up on stories, but they will be added in the coming weeks. Please note our updated comment policy that will govern how comments are moderated.