`

Arts & Entertainment, etc.

You-review-it Monday

For me, this weekend meant the Phoenix Theatre’s production of “The Lieutenant of Inishmore” Mickey Rooney’s visit to the Warren Performing Arts Center, and screenings of a few of the films we’ll be reviewing prior to the Indianapolis International Film...
Read More

Jazz riffs

Yesterday, the announcement was made that Aretha Franklin would be headlining this year’s Indy Jazz Fest. More acts, of course, to follow. Three questions : 1. Who else would you like to see on the lineup this year? 2. More provocatively, who wouldn’t...
Read More

Symphonic crisis in Columbus

Our big-ish city neighbor to the east, Columbus, Ohio, is facing problems with its orchestra. Wrestling with $1.5 million deficit this season, management has proposed downsizing from 52 to 31 full-time players. A truncated season (cutting out 12 of the usual...
Read More

Justifying PBS

President Bush’s proposed budget features significant cuts to public broadcasting: 2009’s allocation goes from $400 million to $200 million. And 2010’s drops from $420 million to $200  million. More details here. Public broadcasting certainly had an easier time justifying...
Read More

Eastern Star (and 'Superstar')

The balcony was shaking. Literally. You could see the flag bouncing in the windless Artsgarden and I half-jokingly asked Alpha Blackburn, of Blackburn Architects, about the structural stability of the place. What was causing this seismic disturbance? The Eastern Star Church Gospel Choir,...
Read More

You-review-it Monday

This is normally the time when I ask you what you did last weekend, but I've got a pretty good idea what you were up to on Sunday. Still, there was Friday and Saturday to catch something on stage, in galleries...
Read More

IBJ Night at the Movies III

Maybe you’ve already been introduced to the intense, funny, bloody work of Martin McDonagh. He wrote the acclaimed play “The Pillowman,” which the Phoenix Theatre produced last year. And he wrote “The Lieutenant of Inishmore,” opening at the Phoenix this month. He...
Read More

'Project Runway' goes artsy

It had to happen eventually, I suppose. The “Project Runway” creators are shopping another reality/competition show to the networks—this one looking at the art world. "There will be creative challenges, unexpected challenges, things that will test these artists outside of their comfort...
Read More

'Bang' bounced at TOTS

A last-minute switch in the lineup at Theatre on the Square was mysteriously announced yesterday. In the just-around-the-corner late February slot, out went the relatively unknown survivalist comedy “Bang.” In comes the Pulitzer-Prize winning “Proof.” Why? According to the news...
Read More

The Kindle, bootleg movies, etc.

A few technology and the arts stories for you forward-thinking readers: According to yesterday’s Publishers Weekly, Amazon.com has experienced better-than-expected sales of the temporarily-out-of-stock Kindle, the $399 electronic book gizmo it launched last November.
Read More