IBJNews

Bankruptcy stops condos' auction

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share

An Indianapolis developer’s last-minute bankruptcy filing halted the auction of a struggling downtown condominium project.

Close to 50 people gathered Feb. 7 to bid on eight units at the Chatham Kynett Court development at 716 N. East St. But an attorney for the property’s original owner showed up to notify the group that the owner had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, stopping the sale, according to Jeff Donor, a vice president at Key Auctioneers.

Indianapolis-based developer SC Devcon brought the Chatham Kynett Court project to market in 2008, just before the real estate market soured. The units ranged from 1,400 square feet to 2,200 square feet and were offered for $249,000 to almost $400,000.

Three of the condos sold while the remaining eight sat empty for almost five years in various stages of completion. Key Auctioneers intended on Feb. 7 to sell those remaining units "as is."

SC Devcon affiliate Timberpace LLC owned the property.

Indiana Secretary of State records list the registered agent for both firms as Shawn Cannon. The firms have the same address in an office building at 110 E. Washington St. State records indicate both businesses have dissolved. Calls to the listed phone numbers for the companies went unanswered last week.

A Feb. 7 court filing lists the condo properties as belonging to another firm, Allpark LLC. Cannon is the managing member of Allpark.

In a court order, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge James Coachys granted a reprieve until March 11 for Cannon to file the initial Chapter 11 documents. His Feb. 7 filing was enough to stop the auction but not enough to proceed with a bankruptcy.

An attorney for Cannon declined to comment beyond what was in court records.

Donor said he has not heard from the owner since the auction was canceled.

ADVERTISEMENT

  • Thanks
    Ah - didn't realize that - thanks for the update.
  • Kynett Building
    Nope, I'm talking about the historic Kynett building that is part of the project but not specifically mentioned in this article. an earlier IBJ article mentions it: http://www.ibj.com/long-struggling-condo-development-going-to-auction/PARAMS/article/39440 Doner said one of the units is finished and three are drywalled and have mechanicals but need finishing. Of those four units, three are in a four-unit building that faces East Street and the other is in a three-unit building directly behind it. Both of those structures were built when the condos were developed. The other four units that are part of the auction package are yet to be built in the Kynett building, a historic brick structure that fronts Cleveland Street, an alley behind and parallel to East Street.
  • Huh?
    Tommy - historic building? The condos in this article were new construction (cheap, poorly done new construction). Are you talking about some other development?
    • Good points Joe
      You've some points Joe, they're definitely a difficult sell for the reasons you've listed, but if the market hadn't crashed, they'd have found the right buyer. I've walked the historic building as is, and there are two unfinished units that would be simply amazing.. 20 foot ceilings and cozy balconies overlooking a small courtyard. I hope this project is saved, because the potential is there. Trust me, you'd agree if you'd seen what I've seen.
      • The Design was problem
        It wasn't Downtown that was the problem, it was the layout, size, price, and location. They were aesthetically attractive, though. Many people moving Downtown are older empty-nesters who don't want too many steps. Younger buyers aren't in this price range.
        • No Mikey....
          ... You just have to value vibrant, urban living. I know many people who consider downtown real estate prices to be a bargain.
        • RipOff
          I love downtown living, but to be honest it's a complete ripoff. so overpriced! 1 bedrooms w/ less than 800sq ft going for like $200k, yea....you have to either be rich or an idiot.

        Post a comment to this story

        COMMENTS POLICY
        We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
         
        You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
         
        Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in IBJ editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
         
        No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
         
        We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.
         

        Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

        Sponsored by
        ADVERTISEMENT

        facebook - twitter on Facebook & Twitter

        Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ on Facebook:
        Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ's Tweets on these topics:
         
        Subscribe to IBJ
        1. This is still my favorite Mexican restaurant in town. What I do love about the new version is it is much quieter than the most recent version. TV's were off, the music wasn't too loud, and the wait staff were not hyperactive like they had been the past few times I had been there. I just wish they would bring back the MOLE for the enchiladas!

        2. Not a bad paper. There is a need for local community news and city government issues. Don't really need the owner's constant national political rants. We all know where they stand by now.

        3. What nice people. Menard should've known better than to team up with the guy who robbed and drove Conseco to ashes. I'm surprised Timothy Durham isn't involved in this.

        4. Hello, I am Maris Peters, currently living in Texas city, USA. I am a widow at the moment with three kids and i was stuck in a financial situation in August 2014 and i needed to refinance and pay my bills. I tried seeking loans from various loan Companies both private and corporate but never with success, and most banks declined my credit. But as God would have it, I was introduced to a Man of God a private loan lender who gave me a loan of $65,000USD and today am a business owner and my kids are doing well at the moment, if you must contact any firm or company with reference to securing a loan without collateral , no credit check, no co signer with just 2% interest rate and better repayment plans and schedule, please contact Mr William David. He doesn’t know that am doing this but am so happy now and i decided to let people know more about him and also i want God to bless him more.You can contact him through his email: Davidloanfirm@yahoo.com

        5. It is beyond me how anyone can think this was a "bad deal" for the state! If they could take the money back then, yes, but they can't! Protections were built in the agreement. Now, if they roll the roads up and take them away, I will agree that it was a bad deal. Otherwise, the only way to have paid for the infrastructure that was badly needed was for the state to issue bonds....that is a four letter synonym for debt folks!!

        ADVERTISEMENT