IBJNews

BMV finds more overcharges on driver's licenses

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share

Some Indiana drivers will be getting money back the next time they make a transaction at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles.

Three months after the BMV announced it was cutting fees for standard operator's licenses in Indiana by $3.50 because of overcharges and announcing two weeks later that it would credit affected drivers' accounts, the BMV announced Friday that it had found more cases where it had overcharged for licenses and said it found other instances where it undercharged.

BMV spokesman Josh Gillespie said Friday afternoon that the agency has not determined the total amount overcharged, but says it would range from $1 to $3. He said a complex system of determining fees was to blame.

"You can have five to 10 statutes make up the cost of one fee, and the cost of one fee can come to the verbiage in the statute," he said. "We're hoping to work with the General Assembly and Gov. (Mike) Pence to come up with a system that is much easier and much less confusing."

The original overcharges were discovered after a $30 million class-action lawsuit was filed by Indianapolis attorney Irwin Levin against the BMV accusing it of overcharging drivers. Pence then directed the BMV to conduct an independent review of the more than 300 fees the agency administers.

Levin said he was pleased the BMV conducted the review.

"Hoosiers are entitled to pay only that which is fair and which is legal. We are encouraged that our lawsuit caused the BMV to act," he said.

He said the lawsuit has been settled and a final approval hearing is scheduled for November.

BMV Commissioner, R. Scott Waddell says the Indianapolis-based law firm of Barnes and Thornburg conducted the review and found the errors.

Gillespie said drivers who were undercharged will not face any additional payment.

More than 2 million of the state's 4 million drivers renewed their licenses in Indiana last year, according to the lawsuit that a Marion County judge granted class-action status in May.

ADVERTISEMENT

  • Thank you Irwin Levin
    What a glorious day for Hoosiers, Thanks too Irwin, we all get a $3 discount the next time we renew and Irwin Levin gets a small fee, wait, they get 21% of $30 million, or $6.3 Million, oh that seems fair. I love "reasonable and customary legal fees". What a crock.

Post a comment to this story

COMMENTS POLICY
We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
 
You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
 
Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in IBJ editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
 
No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
 
We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.
 

Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

Sponsored by
ADVERTISEMENT

facebook - twitter on Facebook & Twitter

Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ on Facebook:
Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ's Tweets on these topics:
 
Subscribe to IBJ
  1. This is still my favorite Mexican restaurant in town. What I do love about the new version is it is much quieter than the most recent version. TV's were off, the music wasn't too loud, and the wait staff were not hyperactive like they had been the past few times I had been there. I just wish they would bring back the MOLE for the enchiladas!

  2. Not a bad paper. There is a need for local community news and city government issues. Don't really need the owner's constant national political rants. We all know where they stand by now.

  3. What nice people. Menard should've known better than to team up with the guy who robbed and drove Conseco to ashes. I'm surprised Timothy Durham isn't involved in this.

  4. Hello, I am Maris Peters, currently living in Texas city, USA. I am a widow at the moment with three kids and i was stuck in a financial situation in August 2014 and i needed to refinance and pay my bills. I tried seeking loans from various loan Companies both private and corporate but never with success, and most banks declined my credit. But as God would have it, I was introduced to a Man of God a private loan lender who gave me a loan of $65,000USD and today am a business owner and my kids are doing well at the moment, if you must contact any firm or company with reference to securing a loan without collateral , no credit check, no co signer with just 2% interest rate and better repayment plans and schedule, please contact Mr William David. He doesn’t know that am doing this but am so happy now and i decided to let people know more about him and also i want God to bless him more.You can contact him through his email: Davidloanfirm@yahoo.com

  5. It is beyond me how anyone can think this was a "bad deal" for the state! If they could take the money back then, yes, but they can't! Protections were built in the agreement. Now, if they roll the roads up and take them away, I will agree that it was a bad deal. Otherwise, the only way to have paid for the infrastructure that was badly needed was for the state to issue bonds....that is a four letter synonym for debt folks!!

ADVERTISEMENT