IBJNews

Duke Realty reports loss, says outlook remains 'challenging'

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share

Locally based Duke Realty Corp. reported a drop in funds from operations of 53 percent for the fourth quarter and said 2010 will be "another challenging year."

The owner and manager of office, industrial and retail properties said Wednesday evening that funds from operations, absent one-time items, fell to $72.6 million, or 31 cents a share, for the quarter that ended Dec. 31, from $232 million, or 67 cents a share, during the same period last year.

Still, the results managed to beat Wall Street analyst expectations of 28 cents per share in FFO. The measure is used by the real estate industry to gauge operating performance, adding depreciation and amortization expenses, as well as other non-operating items, back to net income.

The company posted a loss attributable to common shareholders of $3 million, or 2 cents a share, for the quarter. That compares with a profit of $20.1 million, or 13 cents a share, in the prior-year period.

Duke attributed the drop to one-time gains from the purchase of stock and debt and the dilution from an equity offering. Revenue from the company's operations fell 11 percent, to $340.2 million.

But Duke also raised its occupancy rate during the quarter to 87.8 percent and managed to cut its expenses by 10 percent from a year ago. The company sold $150 million in properties and land, and renewed an $800-million credit line that had a zero balance as of Dec. 31.

"During 2009 we made significant progress on the capital side of our business, raising over $1.6 billion," Duke CEO Dennis D. Oklak said in a statement. "As we look forward to 2010, we expect economic conditions to remain challenging; however, we will continue to execute on our operating, capital and asset strategies."

The company predicts its FFO for 2010 will be in the range 95 cents to $1.15 per share, in line with analyst expectations of $1.11.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post a comment to this story

COMMENTS POLICY
We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
 
You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
 
Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in IBJ editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
 
No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
 
We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.
 

Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

Sponsored by
ADVERTISEMENT

facebook - twitter on Facebook & Twitter

Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ on Facebook:
Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ's Tweets on these topics:
 
Subscribe to IBJ
  1. This is still my favorite Mexican restaurant in town. What I do love about the new version is it is much quieter than the most recent version. TV's were off, the music wasn't too loud, and the wait staff were not hyperactive like they had been the past few times I had been there. I just wish they would bring back the MOLE for the enchiladas!

  2. Not a bad paper. There is a need for local community news and city government issues. Don't really need the owner's constant national political rants. We all know where they stand by now.

  3. What nice people. Menard should've known better than to team up with the guy who robbed and drove Conseco to ashes. I'm surprised Timothy Durham isn't involved in this.

  4. Hello, I am Maris Peters, currently living in Texas city, USA. I am a widow at the moment with three kids and i was stuck in a financial situation in August 2014 and i needed to refinance and pay my bills. I tried seeking loans from various loan Companies both private and corporate but never with success, and most banks declined my credit. But as God would have it, I was introduced to a Man of God a private loan lender who gave me a loan of $65,000USD and today am a business owner and my kids are doing well at the moment, if you must contact any firm or company with reference to securing a loan without collateral , no credit check, no co signer with just 2% interest rate and better repayment plans and schedule, please contact Mr William David. He doesn’t know that am doing this but am so happy now and i decided to let people know more about him and also i want God to bless him more.You can contact him through his email: Davidloanfirm@yahoo.com

  5. It is beyond me how anyone can think this was a "bad deal" for the state! If they could take the money back then, yes, but they can't! Protections were built in the agreement. Now, if they roll the roads up and take them away, I will agree that it was a bad deal. Otherwise, the only way to have paid for the infrastructure that was badly needed was for the state to issue bonds....that is a four letter synonym for debt folks!!

ADVERTISEMENT