IBJNews

Government cutting rates for hard-to-insure patients

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share

The government is cutting premiums by up to 40 percent in 17 states and the District of Columbia and implementing other changes to make it easier for people with pre-existing medical conditions to get health insurance.

Cuts in other states range from about 2 percent in Mississippi to 26 percent in Indiana.

The move Tuesday comes as enrollment in the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan continues to lag far behind expectations, often because people can't afford the premiums or find it too hard to meet enrollment requirements.

The insurance program, part of President Barack Obama's signature health care law, began last summer. It offers health insurance to people with medical problems at prices the average healthy person would pay, although that's not necessarily cheap.

So far, about 18,000 people have signed up — well short of government projections that some 375,000 people would gain coverage in 2010.

In her announcement, Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius said diseases like cancer, diabetes and asthma have pushed up health insurance costs for many, bankrupting families and leaving people's health at risk. She said those people who have been locked out of the market still have a place where they can get immediate coverage.

"This program changes lives and in many cases saves lives," said Sebelius. "We need to continue to find those who are eligible and get them covered."

Premiums will drop, Sebelius said, in the states where the federal government runs the plans directly. The remaining states have opted to take federal money and design their own programs.

Cuts of about 40 percent should be seen in Alabama, Arizona, Delaware, Florida, Kentucky, Minnesota, Nevada, and Virginia, according to HHS.

In Virginia, Sebelius said, consumers will save almost $1,200 a year from the premium reductions. The premium cuts are paid for by the $5 billion allocated to the program, HHS officials said.

For the states that run their own programs, federal health officials are sending out letters encouraging them to review their rates to make sure they are similar to standard rates for healthy people in the current insurance market.

Health and Human Services also is adjusting its eligibility standards in the states with federally run programs.

Beginning this July, people applying for coverage can simply provide a letter from a doctor, physician assistant or nurse practitioner, dated within the last 12 months, stating that they have, or have had, a medical condition, disability, or illness. Applicants will no longer have to wait on an insurance company to send them a denial letter.

The program will last until 2014, when the new health law requires insurers to accept all applicants regardless of medical history.

ADVERTISEMENT

  • the lie
    If people who sign up for this thinks it's free. Well, then I've got land in the everglades I'll sell you dirt cheap. It will cost you big time after all is said and done. Some people are just stupid and believe everything this bunch is feeding them.
  • THANK YOU
    Wow, no negative comments on this one? You would think that government mingling in a private industry would cause some issues. Unless everyone has finally realized that healthcare insurance is a necessity, and private insurers are only interested in profiting by raising rates and cutting coverage to the expensive patients who really need it most.
  • Good news
    This is great news. I was contemplating having to go entirely without insurance for the next 6 months, just to qualify for this insurance. Now I don't have to take such a risk. Thanks for the information!
  • ichia
    Will this effect the rates that people pay for being enrolled in ICHIA in the state of Indiana????

Post a comment to this story

COMMENTS POLICY
We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
 
You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
 
Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in IBJ editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
 
No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
 
We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.
 

Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

Sponsored by
ADVERTISEMENT

facebook - twitter on Facebook & Twitter

Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ on Facebook:
Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ's Tweets on these topics:
 
Subscribe to IBJ
  1. why oh why does this state continue to elect these people....do you wonder how much was graft out of the 3.8 billion?

  2. i too think this is a great idea. I think the vision and need is there as well. But also agree with Wendy that there may be better location in our city to fulfill this vision and help grow the sports of hockey and figure skating in Indy. Also to help further develop other parts of the city that seem often forgotten. Any of the other 6 townships out side of the three northernmost could benefit greatly from a facility and a vision like this. For a vision that sounds philanthropic, the location is appears more about the money. Would really like to see it elsewhere, but still wish the development the best of luck, as we can always use more ice in the city. As for the Ice growth when they return, if schedules can be coordinated with the Fuel, what could be better than to have high level hockey available to go see every weekend of the season? Good luck with the development and the return of the Ice.

  3. How many parking spaces do they have at Ironworks? Will residents have reserved spaces or will they have to troll for a space among the people that are there at Ruth Chris & Sangiovese?

  4. You do not get speeding ticket first time you speed and this is not first time Mr.Page has speed. One act should not define a man and this one act won't. He got off with a slap on the wrist. I agree with judge no person was injured by his actions. The state was robbed of money by paying too much rent for a building and that money could have been used for social services. The Page family maybe "generous" with their money but for most part all of it is dirty money that he obtained for sources that are not on the upright. Page is the kind of lawyer that gives lawyers a bad name. He paid off this judge like he has many other tine and walked away. Does he still have his license. I believe so. Hire him to get you confiscated drug money back. He will. It will cost you.

  5. I remain amazed at the level of expertise of the average Internet Television Executive. Obviously they have all the answers and know the business inside and out.

ADVERTISEMENT