IBJNews

Lawmakers press Pence aide on school dollars

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share

Budget director Chris Atkins found himself Wednesday in the strange position of having to defend education cuts made by his former boss, while pitching House lawmakers on a modest education proposal from his new boss, Gov. Mike Pence.

Atkins told members of the House Ways and Means Committee that the planned 1-percent annual increase in education funding would be the most Indiana has spent on schools in 10 years. But Democrats, who have asked the new administration to restore $300 million in education cuts, noted the Legislature routinely approved much more than the 1 percent, only to see Gov. Mitch Daniels slash it from the budget.

"As we make promises, it seems like lately the Legislature — which is given the constitutional task of creating the budget and moving forward — it seems like it's become more of a suggestion, than a budget for the state," said Rep. Terry Goodin, D-Crothersville, a school superintendent in southern Indiana.

The Pence budget calls for roughly $6.4 billion in education spending in each of the next two years, with another $64 million for high-performing schools beginning the summer of 2014, at the start of the 2015 budget year.

Atkins worked in Daniels' budget shop before joining Pence's gubernatorial campaign and, eventually, his administration.

"We did have a very bad recession, and the previous administration and general assemblies tried to protect education where they could, that's reflected in the fact that we now spend 64 percent of the budget on education," Atkins said.

Yet Pence's suggested, but nominal, increase in spending is one of the lowest in years, doesn't keep track with inflation and is hardly the most cash ever budgeted for schools. Lawmakers approved $6.55 billion for schools in 2011 and $6.6 billion last year. Daniels cut from there and elsewhere on his way to building roughly $2 billion in cash reserves.

Education funding is at the crux of this year's budget negotiations. Both Democrat and Republican House leaders are calling for more cash for schools, and the Pence team will be fighting mightily for the $500 million it would need to cut the personal income tax by 10 percent.

Pence spent much of his first State of the State address delivering the same pitch to lawmakers that he has used for months — that a tax cut is the best stimulus for Indiana's economy. He also sought to assuage lawmakers with the promise that education was still adequately funded.

Republican House Speaker Brian Bosma has challenged that assertion, arguing since October that the Pence tax cut might not hold amid a desire to restore education spending.

John Ketzenberger, president of the Indiana Fiscal Policy Institute, said it should not surprise anyone that any budget battle focuses on education.

"If you look at how much the state spends on education ... you can make a good argument that the business of the state is educating the next generation of Hoosiers," Ketzenberger said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post a comment to this story

COMMENTS POLICY
We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
 
You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
 
Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in IBJ editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
 
No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
 
We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.
 

Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

Sponsored by
ADVERTISEMENT

facebook - twitter on Facebook & Twitter

Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ on Facebook:
Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ's Tweets on these topics:
 
Subscribe to IBJ
  1. John, unfortunately CTRWD wants to put the tank(s) right next to a nature preserve and at the southern entrance to Carmel off of Keystone. Not exactly the kind of message you want to send to residents and visitors (come see our tanks as you enter our city and we build stuff in nature preserves...

  2. 85 feet for an ambitious project? I could shoot ej*culate farther than that.

  3. I tried, can't take it anymore. Untill Katz is replaced I can't listen anymore.

  4. Perhaps, but they've had a very active program to reduce rainwater/sump pump inflows for a number of years. But you are correct that controlling these peak flows will require spending more money - surge tanks, lines or removing storm water inflow at the source.

  5. All sewage goes to the Carmel treatment plant on the White River at 96th St. Rainfall should not affect sewage flows, but somehow it does - and the increased rate is more than the plant can handle a few times each year. One big source is typically homeowners who have their sump pumps connect into the sanitary sewer line rather than to the storm sewer line or yard. So we (Carmel and Clay Twp) need someway to hold the excess flow for a few days until the plant can process this material. Carmel wants the surge tank located at the treatment plant but than means an expensive underground line has to be installed through residential areas while CTRWD wants the surge tank located further 'upstream' from the treatment plant which costs less. Either solution works from an environmental control perspective. The less expensive solution means some people would likely have an unsightly tank near them. Carmel wants the more expensive solution - surprise!

ADVERTISEMENT