Eye on the Pie

Description goes here

ARTICLES

MARCUS: Consumer Price Index proposal costs little, saves a lot

For all of our philosophical pondering combined with our statistical cleverness, we cannot figure out what is “living” nor determine its “cost.”
Read More

MARCUS: New Hoosier motto could become 'Be less than you have been'

The U.S. Army says, “Be all that you can be.” Indiana is moving toward a different message.
Read More

MARCUS: Multipliers are what you make them

New money will not necessarily mean new jobs at the beauty parlor or the barbershop if there are already empty chairs.
Read More

MARCUS: Should we be offended by <em>Times</em> story?

Last month, The New York Times ran a story under the headline “Indiana: The Exception? Yes, but …” The story gave a factual presentation of our state’s economic circumstances, but with an overriding sarcasm that left a bad taste in Hoosier mouths.
Read More

MARCUS: A tale of Colts, Packers and Longhorns

What we gain by having the Colts and Pacers is mainly a psychological benefit. We feel that we are big league because we have big-league teams carrying our name.
Read More

MARCUS: Hold the celebration; reality is just ahead

Frequently, Hoosiers ride as passengers in one of the front cars on the business roller coaster.
Read More

MARCUS: Check out this regional cooperation

About 48 hours after the exciting finish of this year’s Indy 500 race, Mayors Wayne Seybold, R-Marion, and Greg Goodnight, D-Kokomo, announced the formation of the Midwest Automotive Loop.
Read More

MARCUS: Should we have commuting policies?

In 2009, 80 percent of Hoosiers worked in the county where they lived, with the other 20 percent going elsewhere to work. Hardly a change from data 10 years earlier.
Read More

MARCUS: Numbers say Indiana's economy isn't healthy

Usually, when an unemployed person gets a job, the number of people unemployed goes down and the number employed goes up. That’s a healthy economy.
Read More

MARCUS: Lies told about people paying income tax

“Liars!” I want to shout. People who lie deliberately and those who lie innocently afflict our nation with falsehoods.
Read More