IBJNews

701 Hoosiers choose Obamacare plans at rollout

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share

 Just 701 Indiana residents chose a health insurance plan through the federally run online exchange during its glitch-plagued first month of operation, the federal government announced Wednesday. Meanwhile

Meanwhile, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said fewer than 27,000 people managed to enroll for health insurance last month in the 36 states relying on the problem-filled federal website for President Barack Obama's overhaul.

The dismal numbers were even lower than estimates recently circulated. There was one bright spot: States running their own websites did better than the feds, reporting more than 79,000 sign-ups.

Even so, total private insurance enrollment after the first month of the health care rollout was only about one-fifth what the administration had expected during that time period.

Enrollment numbers totaled 106,185. A Sept. 5 administration estimate had projected that 494,620 people would enroll in the first month.

In Indiana, figures also showed that the insurance exchange had nearly 16,000 completed applications from Indiana from Oct. 1 to Nov. 2. Those applications sought coverage for nearly 32,000 people, and more than 19,000 of them have been found eligible to enroll in a plan through the exchange, figures showed.

More than 11,300 people have been found to be eligible for Medicaid, the state-federal health plan for needy people, or the federally subsidized Children's Health Insurance Program, the figures showed. Those people might still be awaiting a state determination of eligibility.

The HHS figures did not indicate how many Indiana residents selecting a health plan have started paying premiums.

Indiana Family and Social Services Administration spokesman Jim Gavin said the agency had no comment Wednesday on the Indiana numbers released by HHS.

More than 500,000 uninsured Indiana residents are believed to be eligible to purchase plans through the federally run exchange under the health care overhaul. Indiana, like more than 30 other states, opted to have the federal government run the exchange for Indiana rather than operate its own.

Many questions still remain unanswered about the status of expanding Medicaid coverage for Indiana residents. The U.S. Supreme Court upheld last year the federal mandate that people must own insurance, but struck down a provision forcing states to expand Medicaid.

Gov. Mike Pence and Republican lawmakers controlling the General Assembly have supported expanding coverage using the Healthy Indiana Plan, Indiana's Medicaid-funded health savings account program. The Pence administration won a one-year extension of the Healthy Indiana Plan last summer from the federal Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services, but negotiations over an expansion of the plan have been delayed.

 

ADVERTISEMENT

  • Indiana Leaders Are Derelict
    The governor and the Republican led legislature have been derelict in promoting the common good for Hoosiers without insurance. So much for the party that claims to be "family oriented." They would rather stand on right-wing ideology and fight everything the current administration is doing than be pragmatic and work to make health care for all Hoosier citizens a reality.
  • Too bad...
    Too bad our "leaders" chose not to build an exchange for us, resulting in Hoosiers being left to deal with the inadequate Federal solution. This was, of course, the point of doing so: To make it as hard as possible for Hoosiers to sign up for insurance so that afterwards, the failure they helped guaranteed can be used as a talking point against the law.

Post a comment to this story

COMMENTS POLICY
We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
 
You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
 
Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in IBJ editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
 
No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
 
We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.
 

Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

Sponsored by
ADVERTISEMENT

facebook - twitter on Facebook & Twitter

Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ on Facebook:
Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ's Tweets on these topics:
 
Subscribe to IBJ
  1. why oh why does this state continue to elect these people....do you wonder how much was graft out of the 3.8 billion?

  2. i too think this is a great idea. I think the vision and need is there as well. But also agree with Wendy that there may be better location in our city to fulfill this vision and help grow the sports of hockey and figure skating in Indy. Also to help further develop other parts of the city that seem often forgotten. Any of the other 6 townships out side of the three northernmost could benefit greatly from a facility and a vision like this. For a vision that sounds philanthropic, the location is appears more about the money. Would really like to see it elsewhere, but still wish the development the best of luck, as we can always use more ice in the city. As for the Ice growth when they return, if schedules can be coordinated with the Fuel, what could be better than to have high level hockey available to go see every weekend of the season? Good luck with the development and the return of the Ice.

  3. How many parking spaces do they have at Ironworks? Will residents have reserved spaces or will they have to troll for a space among the people that are there at Ruth Chris & Sangiovese?

  4. You do not get speeding ticket first time you speed and this is not first time Mr.Page has speed. One act should not define a man and this one act won't. He got off with a slap on the wrist. I agree with judge no person was injured by his actions. The state was robbed of money by paying too much rent for a building and that money could have been used for social services. The Page family maybe "generous" with their money but for most part all of it is dirty money that he obtained for sources that are not on the upright. Page is the kind of lawyer that gives lawyers a bad name. He paid off this judge like he has many other tine and walked away. Does he still have his license. I believe so. Hire him to get you confiscated drug money back. He will. It will cost you.

  5. I remain amazed at the level of expertise of the average Internet Television Executive. Obviously they have all the answers and know the business inside and out.

ADVERTISEMENT