Gregory & Appel Insurance is celebrating its 125th anniversary by making grants to 125 local charities. The awards
of $500 each total $62,500.
“In lieu of doing a party, it was more appropriate and more the corporate culture of Gregory & Appel to do something charitable,” Vice President Steve Appel said.
The list of winners, below, includes a wide variety of not-for-profit organizations in arts, community development, education and social services. More than 350 organizations applied for the grants through the insurance firm’s new Web site.
Applicants were asked to briefly describe their most effective program, and how they would apply the $500 to it.
“We were cognizant that $500 can only go so far,” Appel said. Nevertheless, Appel said each of the grantees gave a specific response.
“It feels very nice to support the energy of 125 organizations doing great things, and all getting a small boost simultaneously,” he said.
Gregory & Appel is in its fifth generation of family ownership. It has 105 employees and is based downtown. The charities below received the gifts.
Alternatives Incorporated of Madison Co.
2. Alzheimer’s Association
3. Best Buddies Indiana
4. Big Brothers Big Sisters – Central Indiana
5. Boys & Girls Clubs of Indianapolis
6. Brooke’s Place for Grieving Young People
7. Bureau of Jewish Education
8. Carmel Clay Public Library Foundation
9. Catholic Charities Indianapolis
10. Center for Leadership Development
11. Challenge Foundation Academy
12. Charles A. Tindley Accelerated School
13. Children’s Bureau
14. Coalition for Homelessness
Intervention & Prevention
15. Christel House Academy
16. Coburn Place Safe Haven
17. Crossroads of America Council Boy Scouts of
18. Damar Services
19. Dance Kaleidoscope
20. Day Nursery Association
21. Dayspring Center
22. Eiteljorg Museum
23. FACE Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic
25. Fall Creek Academy
26. Family Service of Central Indiana
27. Fathers and Families Center
28. Fine Arts Society of Indianapolis
29. Fountain Square Academy
30. Friends of the Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public
31. Gateway Association, Inc.
32. Gennesaret Free Clinic
33. Girls Incorporated of Indianapolis
34. Give Back Inc.
35. Global Gifts
36. Good Samaritan Network
37. Goodwill Industries Foundation of Central IN
38. Goodwill Industries/Indpls. Metropolitan HS
39. Greenwood Parks & Recreation
40. Habitat for Humanity, Johnson County
41. Hamilton Co. Area Neighborhood Development
42. Happy Hollow Children’s Camp
43. HealthNet Inc - Homeless Initiative Program
44. Hendricks Regional Health Foundation
45. Heritage Place of Indianapolis
46. Hoosier Environmental Council
47. Hope Academy
48. Howard Regional Health System Foundation
49. Humane Society of Indianapolis
50. IN Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center
51. Indiana Assoc. for Community Economic Dev.
52. Indiana Jr. Tennis Development Fund
53. Indiana Juvenile Justice Task Force
54. Indiana Reading & Information Service
55. Indiana Recycling Coalition
56. Indianapolis Opera
57. Indianapolis Art Center
58. Indianapolis Children’s Choir
59. Indianapolis Civic Theatre
60. Indianapolis Early Learning Center
61. Indianapolis Parks Foundation
62. Indianapolis Senior Center
63. Indianapolis Zoo
64. Indy Reads
66. International Center of Indianapolis
67. Jameson Camp
69. JEWEL Human Services
70. Keep Indianapolis Beautiful
71. Kingsway Community Care Center
72. Learning Well Inc.
73. Legacy House
74. Lifebridge Inc.
75. Little Red Door Cancer Agency
76. Local Initiatives Support Corporation
77. Lupus Foundation of America
78. Madame Walker Theatre Center
79. Marion County Fair
80. Meals on Wheels of Central Indiana
81. Midwest Food Bank
82. Music For All
83. National Coalition of 100 Black Women
84. National Multiple Sclerosis Society
85. Noble of Indiana Dream Team
86. NPower Indiana
87. Orchard School Foundation
IN Partnership for Young Writers
88. Outreach Inc.
89. Partnership for a Healthier Johnson Co.
90. Planned Parenthood of Indiana
91. President Benjamin Harrison Foundation
92. Ransburg YMCA
93. Rebuilding the Wall
94. Riley Children’s Foundation
95. Ronald McDonald House of Indiana
96. Rush Memorial Hospital Foundation
97. Ruth Lilly Health Education Center
98. Sam Schmidt Paralysis Foundation
99. School on Wheels
100. Second Helpings
101. Shepherd Community Center
102. Southeast Community Services
103. Special Olympics Ind., Washington Twnshp.
104. St. Mary’s Child Center
105. Storytelling Arts of Indiana
106. Sycamore School
107. Teachers’ Treasures Inc.
108. The ALS Association
109. The Children’s TherAplay Foundation
110. The Childrens Museum of Indianapolis
111. The Julian Center
112. The Project School
113. The Saturday Evening Post Society
114. The Tony Stewart Foundation
115. The Villages of Indiana
116. The Wellness Community-Central Indiana
117. Training Inc.
118. University of Indianapolis
119. Visiting Nurse Service Inc.
120. Volunteers of America of Indiana
121. VSA arts of Indiana
122. Wayne Township Education Foundation
123. Westview Medical Foundation
124. Wheeler Mission Ministries
125. Young Audiences of Indiana