Fire displaces five residents

May 3, 2013

A large century-old house in Southport that had been subdivided into five apartments suffered heavy fire damage Friday morning. Five residents escaped the blaze, which broke out about 3 a.m. in the 100 block of South Street, near East Southport Road and Madison Avenue. Firefighters battled flames for more than an hour and called in extra companies for assistance. One resident was taken to St. Francis Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation and a firefighter was checked out at Methodist.
 

ADVERTISEMENT