Cold medicines could face tighter limits in Indiana

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share

An Indiana Senate committee has backed tougher limits on quantities consumers may buy of cold medications that can be used to make methamphetamine.

The Senate's Criminal Law Committee voted 10-0 Tuesday in favor of the bill that would allow the purchase of up to 61 grams a year of ephedrine and pseudoephedrine. That's about an eight-month total of the current law's monthly limit of 7.2 grams.

Some police groups have pushed for a state law requiring a doctor's prescription for those medicines, but the bill doesn't take that step.

Bill sponsor Sen. Carlin Yoder, R-Middlebury, says he believes people with allergies and occasional illnesses will still be able to buy enough medicine under the tighter limits.

The bill now goes to the full Senate for consideration.


  • Indiana's Political Opportunists
    Why is it that so many Indiana politicians think it's OK to inconvienience (and cost) the vast majority of cold and allergy sufferers to try to snare a very small of lawbreakers who use these meds to make meth? It's kinda like highway roadblocks that inconvenience 2,000 drivers and only catch one or two lawbreakers. These politicians are only trying to make themselves "look good" at re-election time. Us cold-sufferers will remember them then, and it may not be the outcome they wanted!
  • More social engineering
    According to STATS.indiana.edu, in 2011 in Indiana has a population 6,516,922, approximately 75% over the age of 18. According to the in.gov web site, in 2011 the Indiana State Police reported 1,363 Clandestine Lab incidents. So, because 0.03% of the adult population behaves stupidly to make meth, the remaining 99.97% of the Indiana adult population -- 4,887,961 people -- many who have to deal with allergies, sinus conditions, or colds for a full 12 month year, have the opportunity to be miserable during four months of the year. Of course they can go though the loss of pay taking time from work and the expense of going to a doctor and paying for a prescription for an over-the-counter cold remedy. One can only hope the miserable four months are during an election period so the 99.97% can remember the nanny-state their elected officials are creating.
  • Nonsense
    I have allergies stemming from my pets. Under the new restrictions, I'll be able to breathe clearly for 8 months out of the year before I hit my limit. Hitting up friends and family for Claritin D is just riddiculous.
  • Get to the real issue
    This is really making the taxpayer feel the pain. Especially those who suffer from year-round allergies. And forget about the effects of the polluted air we breathe. Our legislators need to focus more on law enforcement to root-out those who are manufacturing these illegal drugs. Put more funding into law enforcement. This is pure craziness - another worthless law. Get to the real issues - better funding for education, law enforcement etc. Don't just put the burden on these legal medications to make it through daily life.
  • Wasted Effort
    When will the IN House focus on something intelligent instead of making our lives more difficult with non-essential rules?
  • Thanks!
    I was really afraid that the legislature would go after my assault weapons and 50,000 rounds of ammo. I can always drive to Chicago for cold medicine.
  • Medicine Control
    I have year round allergies, So, I can have enough medicine for 8 months, what do I do about the other 4 months? Buy some more and then go to jail. This is crazy!
  • Medicine Control
    It's so ironic that politicians want to limit our right to cold medicine because of the possibility that someone might misuse it. How about using the same logic with guns/assault weapons?

Post a comment to this story

We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in IBJ editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.

Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

Sponsored by

facebook - twitter on Facebook & Twitter

Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ on Facebook:
Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ's Tweets on these topics:
thisissue1-092914.jpg 092914

Subscribe to IBJ