IBJNews

UPDATE: Presidential debate interest renewed at Purdue

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share

The appointment of Purdue University President Mitch Daniels to the Commission on Presidential Debates this month has spurred new talk of the school possibly trying to host one of the debates in 2016.

Daniels said he couldn't decline joining the commission's Board of Directors despite his pledge to stay out of politics after becoming Purdue's president when his second term as Indiana governor ended in January 2013.

His new position wouldn't prevent Purdue from bidding to becoming a debate host, Daniels told Journal & Courier.

"I don't know that will ever come into play," he said. "It's an expensive thing to do. I'm far from sure we'd want to do it. Maybe we get a little leg up, I don't know."

Purdue officials considered seeking to host a 2012 debate on the West Lafayette campus but didn't do so because of cost and other concerns.

Todd Wetzel, director of Purdue Convocations, researched submitting a 2012 bid and said no formal discussions had yet been held about doing so for 2016.

"Never before have we had a president of the university have a role on the commission," Wetzel said. "We're sitting in a different place than we were previously with respect to the discussion."

The 6,000-seat Elliott Hall of Music would be a potential debate site, although the nearby Purdue Armory would also likely need to be used as working space for 3,000 credentialed journalists who've covered previous debates, said Steve Hall, director of Hall of Music Productions.

Bids won't be due from potential hosts until early 2015.

Janet Brown, executive director of the debate commission, said Daniels' involvement wouldn't give Purdue any advantage.

"It's neutral," Brown said. "We're delighted to have President Daniels on the board. We would welcome a bid that originated with any one of our directors. If a site has the facilities, that is the threshold for (being considered), whether someone has a personal tie or not."

Brown said the commission usually receives between 12 and 24 bids from hopeful hosts.

Clarification: An earlier version of this Associated Press story implied that Purdue officials were actively debating making a bid for the 2016 election. Any talks at the university have not yet reached that level, school officials said Monday afternoon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post a comment to this story

COMMENTS POLICY
We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
 
You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
 
Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in IBJ editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
 
No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
 
We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.
 

Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

Sponsored by
ADVERTISEMENT

facebook - twitter on Facebook & Twitter

Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ on Facebook:
Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ's Tweets on these topics:
 
Subscribe to IBJ
  1. This is still my favorite Mexican restaurant in town. What I do love about the new version is it is much quieter than the most recent version. TV's were off, the music wasn't too loud, and the wait staff were not hyperactive like they had been the past few times I had been there. I just wish they would bring back the MOLE for the enchiladas!

  2. Not a bad paper. There is a need for local community news and city government issues. Don't really need the owner's constant national political rants. We all know where they stand by now.

  3. What nice people. Menard should've known better than to team up with the guy who robbed and drove Conseco to ashes. I'm surprised Timothy Durham isn't involved in this.

  4. Hello, I am Maris Peters, currently living in Texas city, USA. I am a widow at the moment with three kids and i was stuck in a financial situation in August 2014 and i needed to refinance and pay my bills. I tried seeking loans from various loan Companies both private and corporate but never with success, and most banks declined my credit. But as God would have it, I was introduced to a Man of God a private loan lender who gave me a loan of $65,000USD and today am a business owner and my kids are doing well at the moment, if you must contact any firm or company with reference to securing a loan without collateral , no credit check, no co signer with just 2% interest rate and better repayment plans and schedule, please contact Mr William David. He doesn’t know that am doing this but am so happy now and i decided to let people know more about him and also i want God to bless him more.You can contact him through his email: Davidloanfirm@yahoo.com

  5. It is beyond me how anyone can think this was a "bad deal" for the state! If they could take the money back then, yes, but they can't! Protections were built in the agreement. Now, if they roll the roads up and take them away, I will agree that it was a bad deal. Otherwise, the only way to have paid for the infrastructure that was badly needed was for the state to issue bonds....that is a four letter synonym for debt folks!!

ADVERTISEMENT