IBJNews

Developer pushing central Indiana wind farm plans

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share

A developer has slightly scaled back plans for a central Indiana wind farm as the company tries to win approval from county officials for the estimated $300 million project.

Developer juwi Wind has asked a Tipton County zoning board to reduce the 1,500-foot distance required between the wind farm's turbines and neighboring properties. The company wants the distance minimums approved in March cut to 1,400 feet from properties not involved with the project and 1,250 feet from participating properties, the Kokomo Tribune reported Tuesday.

The Colorado-based company had proposed building up to 94 electricity-generating turbines for the Prairie Breeze Wind Farm in a rural area northwest of Tipton. Its new request proposes building 88 turbines.

"The Board of Zoning Appeals was clear in its direction to juwi Wind when it approved the Prairie Breeze Wind Farm," said Matt Heck, the company's project manager.

Jeff Hoover of Tipton County Citizens for Responsible Development said the group's members will discuss the company's proposal.

"We hope the BZA will maintain the 1,500-foot setback," Hoover said.

Another company also is building a large wind farm in the area about 40 miles north of Indianapolis.

Construction finished late last year on 125 turbines in eastern Tipton County and northern Madison County for the Wildcat Wind Farm developed by E.ON Climate and Renewables of Chicago. Nearly 200 more turbines are planned in neighboring Howard and Grant counties in later phases.

Juwi Wind also submitted a property value guarantee plan that will cover residential property within three-quarters of a mile of a wind turbine.

Values will be determined by an appraisal or the average of more than one appraisal and the guarantee only covers a difference greater than 10 percent between the value and a sale price. The plan sets the company's total liability for the property value guarantee at $1 million.

Heck said the company submitted the revised plan because it is committed to building the wind farm in Tipton County.

"The request for modifications strikes a balance allowing the project to move forward, while responding to the BZA and citizens' input and feedback," Heck said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post a comment to this story

COMMENTS POLICY
We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
 
You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
 
Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in IBJ editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
 
No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
 
We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.
 

Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

Sponsored by
ADVERTISEMENT

facebook - twitter on Facebook & Twitter

Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ on Facebook:
Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ's Tweets on these topics:
 
Subscribe to IBJ
  1. This is still my favorite Mexican restaurant in town. What I do love about the new version is it is much quieter than the most recent version. TV's were off, the music wasn't too loud, and the wait staff were not hyperactive like they had been the past few times I had been there. I just wish they would bring back the MOLE for the enchiladas!

  2. Not a bad paper. There is a need for local community news and city government issues. Don't really need the owner's constant national political rants. We all know where they stand by now.

  3. What nice people. Menard should've known better than to team up with the guy who robbed and drove Conseco to ashes. I'm surprised Timothy Durham isn't involved in this.

  4. Hello, I am Maris Peters, currently living in Texas city, USA. I am a widow at the moment with three kids and i was stuck in a financial situation in August 2014 and i needed to refinance and pay my bills. I tried seeking loans from various loan Companies both private and corporate but never with success, and most banks declined my credit. But as God would have it, I was introduced to a Man of God a private loan lender who gave me a loan of $65,000USD and today am a business owner and my kids are doing well at the moment, if you must contact any firm or company with reference to securing a loan without collateral , no credit check, no co signer with just 2% interest rate and better repayment plans and schedule, please contact Mr William David. He doesn’t know that am doing this but am so happy now and i decided to let people know more about him and also i want God to bless him more.You can contact him through his email: Davidloanfirm@yahoo.com

  5. It is beyond me how anyone can think this was a "bad deal" for the state! If they could take the money back then, yes, but they can't! Protections were built in the agreement. Now, if they roll the roads up and take them away, I will agree that it was a bad deal. Otherwise, the only way to have paid for the infrastructure that was badly needed was for the state to issue bonds....that is a four letter synonym for debt folks!!

ADVERTISEMENT