IBJNews

Smulyan considering another option to take Emmis private

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share

Emmis Communications Corp. CEO Jeff Smulyan is considering an "alternative structure" for his bid to take the company private after facing opposition from a group of preferred shareholders attempting to block the deal.

The Indianapolis-based radio and magazine company postponed a decision on the deal Tuesday night after it failed to receive enough votes from shareholders, either in person or by proxy, to reach a quorum. It will convene another shareholders’ meeting at 6:30 p.m. Friday.

As the $2.40-per-share offer stands, Smulyan needs two-thirds of preferred shareholders to OK a change in the company's articles of incorporation for the the deal to proceed. Preferred shareholders also must agree to convert their shares into bonds—at 60 cents on the dollar—in exchange for an attractive interest rate of 12 percent. 

Last month, eight firms that hold Emmis’ preferred stock banded together to prevent the sale. Collectively they hold 38 percent of Emmis’ preferred shares.

Although the company did not disclose details, it said in a news release that Smulyan is continuing to negotiate with the preferred shareholders and is considering other avenues, including an option that would not require their consent.

Still, “there can be no assurance that either an agreement will be reached with the group of holders of preferred stock or that an alternative structure can be implemented,” Emmis said in the release.

A majority of common shareholders also would have to approve the buyout.

Emmis stock opened Wednesday morning at $1.60 and soared nearly 29 percent, to $2.06, by late morning, stirring optimism that a deal could get done despite the delay.

Smulyan, through his JS Acquisition Inc. and New York private equity firm Alden Global Capital, has offered $2.40 per common share, a bid that valued the company at about $90 million.

Founded by Smulyan in 1981, Emmis owns 23 radio stations in the United States and publishes regional magazines in seven cities, including Indianapolis Monthly. It also operates radio stations in Slovakia and Bulgaria.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post a comment to this story

COMMENTS POLICY
We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
 
You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
 
Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in IBJ editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
 
No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
 
We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.
 

Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

Sponsored by
ADVERTISEMENT

facebook - twitter on Facebook & Twitter

Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ on Facebook:
Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ's Tweets on these topics:
 
Subscribe to IBJ
  1. How much you wanna bet, that 70% of the jobs created there (after construction) are minimum wage? And Harvey is correct, the vast majority of residents in this project will drive to their jobs, and to think otherwise, is like Harvey says, a pipe dream. Someone working at a restaurant or retail store will not be able to afford living there. What ever happened to people who wanted to build buildings, paying for it themselves? Not a fan of these tax deals.

  2. Uh, no GeorgeP. The project is supposed to bring on 1,000 jobs and those people along with the people that will be living in the new residential will be driving to their jobs. The walkable stuff is a pipe dream. Besides, walkable is defined as having all daily necessities within 1/2 mile. That's not the case here. Never will be.

  3. Brad is on to something there. The merger of the Formula E and IndyCar Series would give IndyCar access to International markets and Formula E access the Indianapolis 500, not to mention some other events in the USA. Maybe after 2016 but before the new Dallara is rolled out for 2018. This give IndyCar two more seasons to run the DW12 and Formula E to get charged up, pun intended. Then shock the racing world, pun intended, but making the 101st Indianapolis 500 a stellar, groundbreaking event: The first all-electric Indy 500, and use that platform to promote the future of the sport.

  4. No, HarveyF, the exact opposite. Greater density and closeness to retail and everyday necessities reduces traffic. When one has to drive miles for necessities, all those cars are on the roads for many miles. When reasonable density is built, low rise in this case, in the middle of a thriving retail area, one has to drive far less, actually reducing the number of cars on the road.

  5. The Indy Star announced today the appointment of a new Beverage Reporter! So instead of insightful reports on Indy pro sports and Indiana college teams, you now get to read stories about the 432nd new brewery open or some obscure Hoosier winery winning a county fair blue ribbon. Yep, that's the coverage we Star readers crave. Not.

ADVERTISEMENT