State receives 24 more tort claims for stage collapse

September 29, 2011

Indiana's attorney general says 24 more tort claims have been filed alerting the state of possible lawsuits in the wake of last month's deadly State Fair stage collapse.

Attorney General Greg Zoeller's office says the new notices boost to 45 the total number of tort claims received to date. Some include multiple claimants from the same family, while other family members filed their tort claims separately.

The filings are required before a lawsuit can be filed seeking a share of the $5 million available to victims under Indiana law.

More than 40 people were injured Aug. 13 when stage rigging collapsed in high winds before a scheduled State Fair concert by country duo Sugarland. Four people died immediately and three others later died from their injuries.

Some victims have filed suit against the state, saying the $5 million cap violates state and U.S. law.

State officials have already outlined a plan to distribute a separate fund of donations to victims.

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent Articles by Associated Press

Comments powered by Disqus