Host Mason King talks with IBJ reporters Leslie Bonilla Muñiz and Mickey Shuey about why Marion County Prosecutor Ryan Mears is hesitant about moving to the Twin Aire site and why the mayor wants the office at the campus.
Lawyers, bail bonds firms weighing whether to move with courts
Marion County’s courts will move by December 2021 from the City-County Building downtown to the $580 million Community Justice Campus in the Twin Aire neighborhood. Law firms and other businesses are debating whether to follow.Read More
Proposed parking garage in downtown Noblesville might grow from 4 to 5 floors
County officials said the increasing caseload at local courts justifies building an $11.5 million, five-story garage with an additional 100 spaces.Read More
Judge dismisses women’s lawsuit accusing Curtis Hill of sexual harassment
U.S. District Judge Jane Magnus-Stinson said that because the women—a state lawmaker and three legislative staffers—didn’t work for Hill, they can’t sue him under federal laws meant to prevent workplace discrimination and retaliation.Read More
The judges said rising COVID-19 case numbers and a positivity rate that has risen to 10.5% have created a need for the order.
The Indianapolis Catholic high school scored a victory in its legal battle with Lynn Starkey, who served as Roncalli’s co-director of guidance until 2019, when the school did not renew her contract after learning that she was in a civil union with a woman.
Starting Tuesday, anyone coming in or occupying public areas of the four courthouses of the Southern District of Indiana must wear face coverings and maintain six feet of social distancing in all public spaces, regardless of vaccination status.
Prosecutors say the defendant used a Ponzi-style scheme to induce 100 individuals to sink more than $11 million into his companies.
Members of the Indiana Court of Appeals haven’t changed their minds in a case involving a fired Anthem executive’s failed appeal of a jury verdict for the insurance company,
Judge Patrick Dietrick wrote in the ruling dated Saturday that such an interpretation would give the attorney general greater power than the governor in protecting the governor’s constitutional powers.
The state Department of Workforce Development said it was determining how to resume the federal programs if the judge’s order remains in place.
Curry, a Democrat, was elected as Marion County prosecutor in 2010 and successfully ran for reelection in 2014 and 2018, becoming what is believed to be the only three-term Democratic prosecutor in Marion County.
Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita’s office got its day in court Wednesday to argue why it thinks Gov. Eric Holcomb shouldn’t have been allowed to hire his own attorneys to sue the Indiana General Assembly. A ruling isn’t expected for at least several weeks.
The Indiana Northern District Court, however, is continuing to require face coverings in most situations.
The Indiana Gaming Commission filed a response Thursday in Marion Superior Court to a lawsuit filed last month by seven investors in Spectacle Entertainment, the parent company of two casinos in Gary and a casino under construction in Terre Haute.
All “red flag” cases filed by Indianapolis police will now come before a judge after an Indiana prosecutor was criticized for declining to use the law to pursue court hearings against the man who killed eight people at a FedEx facility last month.
Cynthia Booth, CEO of Child Advocates, said she had no idea the city was looking to change providers in its court appointed special advocates program. She noted the switch was completed without a request for proposals or asking for public input.
Previously, Southern District Chief Judge Jane Magnus-Stinson issued orders suspending in-person jury trials through March 1, then extended the suspension to April 5.
Participants in the scheme, which involved multiple businesses and resulted in thefts from a bank and insurance company, received prison sentences ranging from 18 months to nine years.
Prosecutors say Daniel R. Fruits, 46, defrauded his former employer out of millions of dollars that he spent on real estate, cars, Rolex watches, escort services and other items.
The Indiana Supreme Court on Monday handed down an order suspending jury trials statewide, citing “the need for drastic measures as COVID-19 continues to surge.”
Qingyou Han, 62, and his wife, Lu Shao, 54, were ordered to pay a combined $1.6 million in restitution after pleading guilty to using more that $1 million in federal research funds for their own personal expenses.
An order sent Friday by Chief Judge Jane E. Magnus-Stinson suspends all in-person jury trials in all divisions of the U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana until at least Jan. 25.