IBJNews

Education cuts could be coming, state schools chief says

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share

Indiana's school chief warned school superintendents Thursday that declining state revenues could force cuts in public education spending, education officials said.

In a conference call, superintendent Tony Bennett also encouraged school districts to stall any major expenditures and teacher contract decisions, according to an e-mail sent by Dennis Costerison, executive director of the Indiana Association of School Business Officials, who was on the call.

The call took place after Bennett met with Gov. Mitch Daniels on Tuesday to discuss state finances, Costerison said in the e-mail.

Costerison sent the e-mail to members of the Indiana Association of School Business Officials, one of whom forwarded it to The Associated Press. That member declined to be named because he did not want to be tied to the controversy.

Costerison confirmed he sent the e-mail and that the details were accurate. Department of Education spokesman Cam Savage confirmed the conference call conversation.

Daniels had told Bennett that October state revenues were significantly down from projections, and that tax collections were $310 million below forecast for the first four months of the year, Costerison said in the e-mail.

The governor was scheduled to give an update on state revenues on Friday. Daniels' spokeswoman, Jane Jankowski, said he had met with Bennett earlier this week but that she did not know what had been said.

Costerison said Bennett told superintendents that Daniels' intent had been to maintain K-12 funding, but the state's fiscal situation was so dire that nothing was off the table.

"Dr. Bennett made it clear that cuts in K-12 were possible, but no decision had been made at this time on an amount," Costerison wrote in the e-mail. "He did say that the worst of the state's financial woes are still ahead of us."

Bennett said he would stay in contact and that he anticipated hearing something in the next month or so, Costerison said in the e-mail.

"He encouraged that major expenditures be held at this time and that school corporations wait for collective bargaining decisions until the state's fiscal impact is resolved," the e-mail said.

Costerison told the AP that Bennett made it clear that no decision on school cuts had been made, "but the potential is there."

He said he understood that the state's finances were dwindling but that his organization had recommended to Bennett to make no cuts for the rest of the calendar year. He also said he asked that any cuts in school funding be announced as early as possible so school districts can work out how to deal with the lost revenue.

The two-year budget approved in June increased basic school funding by 1.1 percent in 2010 and 0.3 percent in 2011.

Daniels said last month that tax collections for the first three months of this fiscal year were $254 million below forecast. That's 8 percent less than projected and 14 percent less than the state took in for the same period a year ago. He warned that budget cuts might be needed soon.

Daniels said employee layoffs would be a last resort, and cutting money for schools could not be ruled out. The only thing off the table, he said, were tax increases.
 

ADVERTISEMENT

Post a comment to this story

COMMENTS POLICY
We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
 
You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
 
Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in IBJ editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
 
No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
 
We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.
 

Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

Sponsored by
ADVERTISEMENT

facebook - twitter on Facebook & Twitter

Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ on Facebook:
Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ's Tweets on these topics:
 
Subscribe to IBJ
  1. I am so impressed that the smoking ban FAILED in Kokomo! I might just move to your Awesome city!

  2. way to much breweries being built in indianapolis. its going to be saturated market, if not already. when is enough, enough??

  3. This house is a reminder of Hamilton County history. Its position near the interstate is significant to remember what Hamilton County was before the SUPERBROKERs, Navients, commercial parks, sprawling vinyl villages, and acres of concrete retail showed up. What's truly Wasteful is not reusing a structure that could still be useful. History isn't confined to parks and books.

  4. To compare Connor Prairie or the Zoo to a random old house is a big ridiculous. If it were any where near the level of significance there wouldn't be a major funding gap. Put a big billboard on I-69 funded by the tourism board for people to come visit this old house, and I doubt there would be any takers, since other than age there is no significance whatsoever. Clearly the tax payers of Fishers don't have a significant interest in this project, so PLEASE DON'T USE OUR VALUABLE MONEY. Government money is finite and needs to be utilized for the most efficient and productive purposes. This is far from that.

  5. I only tried it 2x and didn't think much of it both times. With the new apts plus a couple other of new developments on Guilford, I am surprised it didn't get more business. Plus you have a couple of subdivisions across the street from it. I hope Upland can keep it going. Good beer and food plus a neat environment and outdoor seating.

ADVERTISEMENT