IBJNews

UPDATE: Indy schools seek records on state takeovers

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share

 Indianapolis Public Schools leaders filed a public records request Thursday seeking information on the 2011 takeover of four schools amid questions about the integrity of the state's A-F school grading formula.

IPS Board of Commissioners President Diane Arnold called for a review of the decisions that led the state to give control of the schools to charter operators after they were consistently found to be "failing."

"The accountability system is supposed to be transparent," Arnold said in a statement. "It is in the best interest of our students and their families for all of the facts surrounding the school takeovers to be disclosed to the public and reviewed in the light of day."

The grading system has been under fire since The Associated Press published emails last month showing former schools chief Tony Bennett oversaw changes to the formula to ensure a top Republican donor's school received an 'A'. Bennett subsequently resigned as Florida's education commissioner.

Local school leaders who complained of secrecy in the Bennett administration over the school grades before the emails were released have since said the grades issued last year should be deemed invalid. Fort Wayne Community School Corp. voted 6-1 Monday to support a resolution from Democrat Mark GiaQuinta refusing to recognize the state's school grading system.

Gov. Mike Pence on Thursday said he was standing by the state's school-grading system and would not consider calls to suspend the grades for a year. He blamed the media for "anxiety" over the school grades.

"I understand the anxiety that's been created over allegations that have been reported in the press and questions that have been raised around email communications," he said Thursday. "We're going to get to the bottom of the accusations that have been raised."

Bennett took control of four Indianapolis schools in 2011, after years of poor test scores and graduation rates. He cited Indiana's school takeover law, passed a dozen years earlier by Indiana Democrats, in saying it was time to give control of the schools to charter school groups.

An Indianapolis charter school group won one of the contracts from the state. Charter Schools USA, whose president has donated to Bennett and hired Bennett's wife earlier this year, won the contracts for the three other Indianapolis schools.

IPS officials pointed out earlier this month that if Bennett had shown the schools the same deference he gave Christel House Academy, a charter school founded by donor Christel DeHaan, they would have been taken off the state's takeover list. But Bennett said at the time that showing any flexibility in how the school grades were calculated would undercut the entire system.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post a comment to this story

COMMENTS POLICY
We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
 
You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
 
Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in IBJ editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
 
No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
 
We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.
 

Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

Sponsored by
ADVERTISEMENT

facebook - twitter on Facebook & Twitter

Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ on Facebook:
Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ's Tweets on these topics:
 
Subscribe to IBJ
  1. John, unfortunately CTRWD wants to put the tank(s) right next to a nature preserve and at the southern entrance to Carmel off of Keystone. Not exactly the kind of message you want to send to residents and visitors (come see our tanks as you enter our city and we build stuff in nature preserves...

  2. 85 feet for an ambitious project? I could shoot ej*culate farther than that.

  3. I tried, can't take it anymore. Untill Katz is replaced I can't listen anymore.

  4. Perhaps, but they've had a very active program to reduce rainwater/sump pump inflows for a number of years. But you are correct that controlling these peak flows will require spending more money - surge tanks, lines or removing storm water inflow at the source.

  5. All sewage goes to the Carmel treatment plant on the White River at 96th St. Rainfall should not affect sewage flows, but somehow it does - and the increased rate is more than the plant can handle a few times each year. One big source is typically homeowners who have their sump pumps connect into the sanitary sewer line rather than to the storm sewer line or yard. So we (Carmel and Clay Twp) need someway to hold the excess flow for a few days until the plant can process this material. Carmel wants the surge tank located at the treatment plant but than means an expensive underground line has to be installed through residential areas while CTRWD wants the surge tank located further 'upstream' from the treatment plant which costs less. Either solution works from an environmental control perspective. The less expensive solution means some people would likely have an unsightly tank near them. Carmel wants the more expensive solution - surprise!

ADVERTISEMENT