IBJNews

BrightPoint executive Howell stepping down

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share

A longtime high-ranking executive for BrightPoint Inc. in Indianapolis will resign effective Jan. 18, three months after California-based Ingram Micro Inc. acquired the company.

J. Mark Howell, who became president of the company's North American region after BrightPoint merged into Santa Ana-based Ingram in October, resigned to “pursue personal interests,” Ingram said in a prepared statement.

He leaves after 18 years in upper management at BrightPoint, which provides logistics and distribution services to the mobile technology industry.

A golden parachute clause in Ingram’s $840 million acquisition agreement provided Howell with approximately $6.7 million as he and five other executives split $30.7 million in payouts.

Bashar Nejdawi will step into Howell’s position, the company said.

Nejdawi has most recently been the senior vice president of corporate strategic initiatives and partnerships for BrightPoint and Ingram Micro Mobility. He began working for the company in 2008 as president of the mobile enhancement business.

Howell’s departure comes as Ingram determines how BrightPoint, with its focus on logistics services for handheld mobile device companies, will fit into the operations of its new, much larger parent, which focuses on broader IT services.

Before the merger, BrightPoint had 4,000 employees worldwide, with 1,100 people in central Indiana.

Ingram has remained silent on possible layoffs. But cost-cutting will likely happen in some capacity as the IT service provider eyes $55 million in "cost synergies."

ADVERTISEMENT

  • $$$
    Another Brightpoint exec leaves with millions in his pocket. Who's next?
  • Best of Luck
    Congrats, Mr. Howell, on a great ride. Your value to our community cannot be understated. You are a great leader and servant. Best wishes for your next endeavor.

    Post a comment to this story

    COMMENTS POLICY
    We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
     
    You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
     
    Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in IBJ editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
     
    No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
     
    We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.
     

    Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

    Sponsored by
    ADVERTISEMENT

    facebook - twitter on Facebook & Twitter

    Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ on Facebook:
    Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ's Tweets on these topics:
     
    Subscribe to IBJ
    1. This is still my favorite Mexican restaurant in town. What I do love about the new version is it is much quieter than the most recent version. TV's were off, the music wasn't too loud, and the wait staff were not hyperactive like they had been the past few times I had been there. I just wish they would bring back the MOLE for the enchiladas!

    2. Not a bad paper. There is a need for local community news and city government issues. Don't really need the owner's constant national political rants. We all know where they stand by now.

    3. What nice people. Menard should've known better than to team up with the guy who robbed and drove Conseco to ashes. I'm surprised Timothy Durham isn't involved in this.

    4. Hello, I am Maris Peters, currently living in Texas city, USA. I am a widow at the moment with three kids and i was stuck in a financial situation in August 2014 and i needed to refinance and pay my bills. I tried seeking loans from various loan Companies both private and corporate but never with success, and most banks declined my credit. But as God would have it, I was introduced to a Man of God a private loan lender who gave me a loan of $65,000USD and today am a business owner and my kids are doing well at the moment, if you must contact any firm or company with reference to securing a loan without collateral , no credit check, no co signer with just 2% interest rate and better repayment plans and schedule, please contact Mr William David. He doesn’t know that am doing this but am so happy now and i decided to let people know more about him and also i want God to bless him more.You can contact him through his email: Davidloanfirm@yahoo.com

    5. It is beyond me how anyone can think this was a "bad deal" for the state! If they could take the money back then, yes, but they can't! Protections were built in the agreement. Now, if they roll the roads up and take them away, I will agree that it was a bad deal. Otherwise, the only way to have paid for the infrastructure that was badly needed was for the state to issue bonds....that is a four letter synonym for debt folks!!

    ADVERTISEMENT