IBJNews

Feds delay decision on Indiana Medicaid plan

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share

The federal government has delayed action on Indiana's proposal to expand Medicaid because the state hasn't received public comment on the proposals, but the issue could be resolved quickly with two hearings set for next week, a spokeswoman for Gov. Mike Pence said Wednesday.

Pence submitted the waiver request to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services last month without holding the public hearings required by law. Federal regulators kicked the waiver back to the state in the Feb. 25 letter from CMS that was posted recently on Indiana's Affordable Care Act website.

"After completing a preliminary review of your extension request, we have determined that the state's extension request has not met the requirements for a complete extension request," wrote Diane Gerrits, director of the CMS' division of state demonstrations and waivers.

The state has scheduled a pair of public hearings next week on its plan to expand Medicaid using the state-run Healthy Indiana Plan, which already covers 40,000 low-income residents.

Pence spokeswoman Christy Denault said the administration always knew they had to hold public hearings but was trying to get an approval as soon as possible because of a June deadline.

"We were thinking: Get it to them, (then) post for public comment and get the process moving along," she said. She noted the state filed its waiver on Feb. 13, posted notice of the public hearings on Feb. 20 then received the CMS reply Feb. 25.

Pence asked CMS to allow Indiana to expand Medicaid using the plan. He has argued that traditional Medicaid is "broken" and fraught with "waste, corruption and abuse."

Indiana's state-run plan covers low-income residents earning up to 200 percent of the federal poverty level, or $23,000 for a single adult or $47,000 for a family of four. The plan gives enrollees a health savings account and sets caps on payouts for medical treatment, but it lacks some of the features covered by Medicaid such as dental and vision.

Opponents of expanding Medicaid using the traditional program, including Pence and other Statehouse Republicans, have argued that HIP would allow the state to better manage costs for the roughly 400,000 low-income residents who would qualify under an expansion. The Medicaid expansion would add coverage for those earning up to 138 percent of the federal poverty level, Indiana provides Medicaid for residents who earn up to 24 percent of the FPL.

It's unclear if HIP would be the cheaper option for the state. Cost estimates of the HIP plan have varied, from a 2011 analysis by the state's actuary which showed it costing 44 percent more than Medicaid to a more recent analysis by the same group estimating it would cost about the same as traditional Medicaid.

If the state does not win federal approval by June, it will have to dismantle HIP, leaving the 40,000 or so residents enrollees without coverage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post a comment to this story

COMMENTS POLICY
We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
 
You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
 
Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in IBJ editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
 
No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
 
We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.
 

Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

Sponsored by
ADVERTISEMENT

facebook - twitter on Facebook & Twitter

Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ on Facebook:
Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ's Tweets on these topics:
 
Subscribe to IBJ
  1. Only half a million TV Viewers? And thats an increase? I knew Indycar was struggling but I didn't know it was that bad. Hell, if NASCAR hits 5 Million viewers everyone starts freaking out saying its going down hill. It has a long way to before Indycar even hits NASCAR's bad days.

  2. IU has been talking that line for years with no real progress even with the last Dean, Dr. Brater. Why will an outsider, Dr. Hess, make a difference? With no proof of additional resources (cash in the bank), and a concrete plan to move an academic model that has been outdated for decades with a faculty complacent with tenure and inertia, I can count on IU to remain the same during the tenure of Dr. Hess. One ought to look to Purdue and Notre Dame for change and innovation. It is just too bad that both of those schools do not have their own medical school. Competition might wake up IU. My guess is, that even with those additions to our State, IU will remain in its own little world squandering our State's tax dollars. Why would any donor want to contribute to IU with its track record? What is its strategy to deal with the physician shortage for our State? New leadership will not be enough for us to expect any change.

  3. How do you think the Bridges got approved? I spent a couple days researching PAC's and individual contributions to some city council members during that time. My printouts were inches thick on the two I concentrated on. Finally gave up. Was disgusted with all the donations, and who they were from. Would have taken me days and days to compile a complete list. Tried to give it to the Star reporter, but he thought it was all just fine. (and apparently he was treated well himself) He ended up being laid off or fired though. And then of course, there was land donated to the dad's club, or city, as a partial payoff. All done in the shining example of "charity." No, none of these contributions are a coincidence.

  4. I agree what kind of help or if any will be there for Dr. Ley's patients. I was a patient myself.

  5. What about the hundreds of patients who sought this doctor for the right reasons, to quit drugs. what option do these patients now have, experience horrible withdrawl or return to heroin?? those are the choices. what about the children of these former addicts who's parent(s) WILL not b able to maintain their job, for @ least 2 weeks.. There needs to b an emergency clinic opened for these patients.

ADVERTISEMENT