Starting in July, Indiana began requiring people to work, volunteer or participate in other qualifying activities as a condition for receiving medical benefits under the Healthy Indiana Plan, the state’s biggest Medicaid program.
President Donald Trump and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi could hardly be more at odds—but behind the scenes, they’re still grasping at a bipartisan deal to lower the cost of prescription drugs.
Indiana has become the latest state to implement work requirements for low-income residents who receive their health insurance through Medicaid— a change that opponents warn will cost some under-resourced Hoosiers their health coverage.
The Indiana Family & Social Services Administration says the plan is designed to help bridge the transition from the Healthy Indiana Plan to private health insurance, and help pay for premiums, deductibles, co-pays and other costs.
The Trump administration’s top Medicare official used an annual report on the program’s fiscal outlook to attack proposals by some Democrats to expand government health-care coverage to all Americans.
Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson urged the federal government to appeal a ruling against his state’s requirement that certain people covered by its Medicaid expansion work or lose their coverage. States with similar rules, like Indiana, are closely watching the case.
Indiana hospitals are racking up millions of dollars in penalties for having too many patients return for care within a month of discharge.
An estimated 85,000 low-income Hoosiers who receive Medicaid benefits will soon need to find a job, volunteer, get job training, or go to school—or risk losing health care for a few months.
In Indianapolis’ 10 poorest census tracts, 60 percent of residents had not visited a dentist within 12 months, according to an IBJ analysis of CDC and Census Bureau research. But in the 10 tracts with the lowest poverty rates, just 25 percent hadn’t.
The not-for-profit that helps low-income Hoosiers get health care coverage and social services lost $60 million in 2016 and cut about 80 jobs last year.
As many as 130,000 of the 400,000 people now covered by the Healthy Indiana Plan 2.0 will be required to work, take part in school or training, or do community service to continue receiving insurance benefits in 2019.
Barely two weeks after being confirmed as U.S. Secretary for Health and Human Services, former Eli Lilly and Co. executive Alex Azar is returning to Indianapolis on Friday for an announcement with state officials.
The Trump administration said Thursday it will allow states to require "able-bodied" Medicaid recipients to work, a hotly debated first in the enormous program's half-century history.
Alex Azar, a former Eli Lilly and Co. executive, acknowledged to the Senate Finance Committee that drug prices are too high and said he'd work to lower them if confirmed as secretary of Health and Human Services.
Gov. Eric Holcomb has submitted a finalized proposal allowing for changes to the state's Healthy Indiana Plan 2.0 serving low-income Hoosiers.
An Indianapolis-area chiropractor is among more than a dozen people in Indiana-based investigations and hundreds of people nationwide charged in health care fraud and opioid scams worth $1.3 billion.
The proposal would provide an additional $50 billion over four years to stabilize insurance exchanges, relying on a mechanism Republicans have criticized in the past as a way to keep insurers in the marketplace.
Indiana hospitals are bracing for congressional action that could mean deep cuts in Medicaid, which funds the state’s popular health insurance program for low-income adults.
Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb asked the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services on Wednesday for permission to impose such a requirement.