IBJNews

Lilly, Sanofi seek to sell erection drug Cialis without prescription

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share

French drug company Sanofi will seek to sell Eli Lilly and Co.’s erectile dysfunction drug Cialis without a prescription after the companies reached an agreement on marketing rights for the orange pills.

Sanofi will apply for approval of Cialis as an over-the-counter treatment in the United States, Europe, Canada and Australia, and will market the drug after certain patents expire, the Paris-based company said in a statement Wednesday, without disclosing the terms of the agreement with Indianapolis-based Lilly.

The deal hinges on regulatory approval in each country—a big question mark, according to analysts.

The plan gives Sanofi access to a drug that garnered $2.16 billion in sales last year, and will face generic competition starting in 2017.

The deal also fits with Sanofi CEO Chris Viehbacher’s interest in consumer health-care acquisitions. Sanofi was among the bidders for Merck & Co.’s over-the-counter unit, people with knowledge of the matter said in March, before Bayer AG bought the division for $14.2 billion.

The Cialis agreement “reinforces consumer health care as a major growth platform for Sanofi,” Vincent Warnery, senior vice president of Sanofi’s global consumer health-care division, said in a prepared statement.

Sanofi does have a track record of taking a previous prescription drug to over-the-counter status. It began selling allergy medicine Allegra without a prescription in the United States in 2011 after receiving Food and Drug Administratin approval.

Cialis competes with Pfizer Inc.’s Viagra, which had worldwide sales of about $1.9 billion in 2013. The New York-based drugmaker reached an agreement in December with Teva Pharmaceuticals Ltd. that permits the Israeli drugmaker to market a generic version of Viagra in the U.S. starting in December 2017, or earlier under certain circumstances.

More than 18 million Americans older than age 20 suffer from erectile dysfunction, according to Johns Hopkins University’s Bloomberg School of Public Health.

"Millions of men worldwide trust Cialis to treat ED," said Lilly Senior Vice President David Ricks in a prepared statement. "We are pleased to work with Sanofi to pursue a path that could allow more men who suffer from ED to obtain convenient access to a safe and reliable product without a prescription. Switching a medicine to over-the-counter is a highly regulated process that is data-driven and scientifically rigorous. Together with Sanofi, we look forward to working closely with regulatory authorities to define the proper actions and necessary precautions to help patients use over-the-counter Cialis appropriately."

Lilly shares were up 32 cents, or 0.5 percent, early Wednesday morning, to $60.05 each.

ADVERTISEMENT

  • Problem with Drug Industry
    This story highlights a problem with the drug industry - the same medication that is too dangerous to be sold over the counter while under patent is magically safe enough to sell OTC when it is off patent. The same thing happened with virtually all of the anti-histamine drugs.
  • @Lee
    The product has no life saving benefits? No, even better: It might even have life creating benefits.
  • I'll bet you $100
    It ain't gonna happen. If it's converted to OTC, insurance companies will stop paying for prescriptions. ergo, legislators/regulators will never allow it to become over-the-counter.
  • He Obviously doesnt have sex!!
    You should try it.
  • YES!
    I can't wait!
  • what, over the counter, you have to be kidding me
    This is interesting coming from a company that thought Pfizer with Viagra was an embarassment to the Pharma industry not 15 years ago. Now they are promoting a product that might be over the counter and has inherent side affects that can be dangerous to the patient and the product has no life saving benefits and is not a cure for anything, preventative medicine, etc. I guess times change and money is the prime motivator. That is why Lilly got on the bandwagon after seeing Pfizer make many Billions from Viagra. So recreational drugs are OK now.

    Post a comment to this story

    COMMENTS POLICY
    We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
     
    You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
     
    Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in IBJ editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
     
    No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
     
    We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.
     

    Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

    Sponsored by
    ADVERTISEMENT

    facebook - twitter on Facebook & Twitter

    Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ on Facebook:
    Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ's Tweets on these topics:
     
    Subscribe to IBJ
    1. How is the private developer going to repay the bonds. Is this going to be a toll road?

    2. As well as a Portillio'S!!!!!!

    3. A Lou Malnati's would be awesome!!!!!!!!

    4. We aren't broke. We just aren't willing to raise revenues for this that we should be raising them.

    5. OK. now that the state is taking illegal immigrants, willing or not. There is a major concern that needs to be addressed. First: School starts here in 3 weeks in most parts of the country and probably in Indiana. So is the state going to vaccinate these kids before they intermingle with our kids in school? The problem we are going to have here in the US and possibly in Indiana is that some of these kids could be carrying health issues or diseases that are pretty much eradicated in the US. This could cause a major health issue in the US. Second: Who is going to pay for this building disaster? We are flat out broke….. Down here in Texas, we have 14 counties that have been so swamped with kids, (numerous thousands of them), they are on the verge of financial collapse. Now this is happening in counties in New Mexico, Arizona and California. The system is massively overloaded. Swine flu has started back up in San Antonio since they have nearly 2500 kids that have been placed there and lice is rampant. Not to be insensitive, but we need to stop this madness. I find it amazing that we cannot take care of our veterans and yet give carte blanche to illegals entering the country. Recently an article mentioned that these kids and teenagers can get on planes without TSA screening? What? What the Hell???? Keep in mind this about protecting our national sovereignty as a nation and also living under the rule of law. Not only the terrorist threat that can come over the border. This is a deliberate and irresponsible and illegal act from administration ignoring the constitutional duty of protecting the borders and also upholding the supreme law of the land. This is a classic Cloward and Piven strategy to overload the system until it collapses.

    ADVERTISEMENT