IBJNews

George reportedly submits offer to buy IndyCar

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share

A group led by Tony George submitted an offer to Hulman & Co. this week to buy the IndyCar open-wheel race circuit, Sports Business Journal reported on Friday.

As reported by IBJ Oct. 1, George’s investor group is said to include several team owners who compete in the series, including motorsports heavyweights Chip Ganassi, Roger Penske, Kevin Kalkhoven and Michael Andretti. Zak Brown, owner of Zionsville-based Just Marketing International, a motorsports marketing agency, also is reported to be part of the investor group.

Owners of Hulman & Co. and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which controls the IndyCar Series, refused today to confirm or deny that an offer was received and repeated that they have no interest in selling the series.

Sports Business Journal motorsports reporter Tripp Mickle said a reliable source told him that George has hired law firm Faegre Baker Daniels to help study the open-wheel race series’ financials and put together a proposal.

Sources told IBJ George’s offer is a seven-figure cash proposal to take over management and assume future losses for the series.

The IndyCar Series has lost money every year since it was founded in 1996 by George. Sources told IBJ for an Oct. 8 story that while the annual loss has decreased over the last two years, it was $7 million for the 2012 season.

George, who was formerly head of the IndyCar Series and Indianapolis Motor Speedway, led a deal in 2008 to consolidate open-wheel racing after IndyCar Series' 12-year split with rival CART.

George resigned under pressure in 2009 after butting heads with his three sisters and mother, who led the board that oversaw the race series and Speedway.

The board in 2009 replaced George with Jeff Belskus as CEO of the Speedway. That same year, board members offered to let George remain as IndyCar CEO, but he declined. George also resigned from the board overseeing the track and series. He was replaced as IndyCar Series CEO by Randy Bernard.

In 2011, George came back on the board overseeing the series and Speedway.

The series recently completed a season plagued by declining television ratings and tepid live attendance. Several team owners became angry with Bernard over escalating prices for parts to the new chassis he introduced this year and other series management issues.

Undaunted, Bernard earlier this month announced a 16-event, 19-race IndyCar schedule for 2013.

One source inside the series told IBJ this week that “Bernard is hanging by a thread. A very thin thread.”

 

ADVERTISEMENT

  • the story continues
    what does Zak say?
  • more
    so, the story continues. what does Zak say?
  • No truth to this at all...
    ....and neither is the rumor the Iranians are building a nuclear bomb. LOL, Doug Boles must think the gullible are biting on that tripe. Bwahahhahha, one insider is!
  • 25/8
    A statement from Doug Boles is about as reliable as a statment from you.
  • Reality Check for the Obsessed
    With what portion of 'the series IS NOT FOR SALE' are the obsessed having problems wrapping their tiny brains around? "I guess that's probably why we're so unequivocal in our comment to say that the series is not for sale because we want the story to end. I guess the best way to end it is just to say that the series is not for sale and if others just choose to go on with the story I guess that's up to them I don't know how we can be more clear than to say that the IndyCar Series is not for sale". Doug Boles - Vice President Of Communications Hulman & Companies
  • So he got the family
    to spend over 700 million dollars on his hobby and now he is offering pennies to take it over. That'll work. The owners working with him must not have any plans for their new series to be popular.
  • Strange bedfellows
    Tony started IRL, in part, because he disagreed with the owners having so much power; and now he's in bed with some of the same owners he opposed in '96. Can we spell H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-S-Y? I thought he got a raw deal, but I'm begining to think perhaps Ma and the sisters knew what they were doing.
  • interesting proposal
    Certainly an interesting group of owner investors - who obviously believe and support Tony's efforts and all want to make concerted effort to succeed. I think they deserve to be heard. Though the Hulman's obviouvly want to keep this strictly in the family.
  • Crazy
    Tony George is crazy. Why does he think that he can do a better job of running the series that he couldn't do in his first 12 years? Where is he going to keep the deep amounts of cash to keep the series afloat?
  • Lovin it
    This more grater news. The IRL will rise again....from the ashes of the IRL.
  • Hahahhahhahabwahhahha
    Lost $7 MILLION in 2012. Fire where there's smoke! TV ratings DOWN 30% in 2012, attendance flat and receding, sanction fee almost non-existent, races cancelled. CART still dead, twice...but was faster, sexier, had a HUGE following, cars looked like AOW race cars, had more ovals and more Americans in it. The current IRL-ish Indy Carz are NOT the future...they are a freakish mutation. All hail TONY GEORGE and the OWNERS as the saviors of the sport!!! Rumor has it they will immediately bankrupt the series and start fresh. I support this message.
  • 25/8
    Um, uh Mommy, I um want to buy, um the IR, err the Indy Car series. I had a big, um yard sale and saved up a bunch of, um money. After you um fired me, I don't um feel that special. I am entitled, to um be the Inheritor. Ed won, why um can't I?

Post a comment to this story

COMMENTS POLICY
We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
 
You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
 
Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in IBJ editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
 
No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
 
We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.
 

Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

Sponsored by
ADVERTISEMENT

facebook - twitter on Facebook & Twitter

Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ on Facebook:
Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ's Tweets on these topics:
 
Subscribe to IBJ
  1. These liberals are out of control. They want to drive our economy into the ground and double and triple our electric bills. Sierra Club, stay out of Indy!

  2. These activist liberal judges have gotten out of control. Thankfully we have a sensible supreme court that overturns their absurd rulings!

  3. Maybe they shouldn't be throwing money at the IRL or whatever they call it now. Probably should save that money for actual operations.

  4. For you central Indiana folks that don't know what a good pizza is, Aurelio's will take care of that. There are some good pizza places in central Indiana but nothing like this!!!

  5. I am troubled with this whole string of comments as I am not sure anyone pointed out that many of the "high paying" positions have been eliminated identified by asterisks as of fiscal year 2012. That indicates to me that the hospitals are making responsible yet difficult decisions and eliminating heavy paying positions. To make this more problematic, we have created a society of "entitlement" where individuals believe they should receive free services at no cost to them. I have yet to get a house repair done at no cost nor have I taken my car that is out of warranty for repair for free repair expecting the government to pay for it even though it is the second largest investment one makes in their life besides purchasing a home. Yet, we continue to hear verbal and aggressive abuse from the consumer who expects free services and have to reward them as a result of HCAHPS surveys which we have no influence over as it is 3rd party required by CMS. Peel the onion and get to the root of the problem...you will find that society has created the problem and our current political landscape and not the people who were fortunate to lead healthcare in the right direction before becoming distorted. As a side note, I had a friend sit in an ED in Canada for nearly two days prior to being evaluated and then finally...3 months later got a CT of the head. You pay for what you get...

ADVERTISEMENT