There will be fans at this year’s Indianapolis 500, Indianapolis Motor Speedway owner Roger Penske said Monday, but how many remains a moving target based on COVID-19 restrictions. More than 170,000 tickets already have been sold for the May 30 race, he said.
Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing plans $20M Zionsville HQ
The project will allow RLL to moves its its IndyCar operations in Brownsburg and its International Motor Sports Association operations in Hilliard, Ohio, to one 13-acre site in Zionsville’s Creekside Corporate Park.Read More
IMS Museum selling dozens of vehicles to help upgrade collection
The basement of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum is jam-packed with hundreds of vehicles that never go on display. Some of those cars are going on the auction block.Read More
TV, streaming viewership for Indy 500 down from last year’s race
The broadcast of Sunday’s race delivered a huge rating in Indianapolis, but overall viewership was likely hurt by a tougher a slate of competition from other sports, including NASCAR.Read More
Sato wins Indy 500 under late caution flag at empty Speedway
Takuma Sato cruised to victory after Spencer Pigot crashed exiting Turn 4, bringing out the caution with a handful of laps remaining and forcing what had been a thrilling race to end under caution.Read More
The former CART rivals see an opportunity to attract young Mexican talent to racing and put IndyCar back in Mexico.
A Marion Superior Court Judge on Tuesday dismissed all counts against three of the four defendants in the defamation lawsuit involving a racial slur, but threw out only one of six counts against former Colts game announcer Bob Lamey.
Driver James Hinchcliffe on Tuesday announced a 10-race partnership with Genesys that gets him back into a full-time ride. Sponsorship of the No. 29 Honda for the remaining seven races on the IndyCar schedule will be announced at a later date.
A new IndyCar racing team dedicated to giving women opportunities to work in motorsports has submitted an entry for this year’s Indianapolis 500. Simona de Silvestro, the 2010 Indy 500 rookie of the year, will drive the No. 16 car.
Team Penske will mentor a new entry in the IndyCar ladder series that will be owned by a Black businessman as part of a new “Race for Equality & Change” initiative.
Helio Castroneves has said he wants to return to IndyCar, where he raced full-time from 1998 through 2017.
Joe Hale will oversee the museum’s operations, programming, partnerships, communications and advertising efforts.
The determination to allow spectators at the 300,000-seat venue came from the Marion County Public Health Department.
The new race will be part of a three-day festival of sound and speed that organizers hope rivals the storied Long Beach Grand Prix.
The local ABC affiliate’s longtime sports director takes over Thursday as vice president of communications for the open-wheel racing series.
The seven-time NASCAR champion will work with the Ganassi organization to finalize sponsorship on a two-year partnership that could pair two of the most dominant drivers of this generation on one team.
Its importance to the survival of IndyCar teams meant the race had to be staged, even if fans weren’t allowed inside Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
In 2020, Carb Day was little more than a two-hour Friday practice session three months after the usual Memorial Day holiday weekend so familiar to the race.
Roger Penske will not pretend he is not disappointed that he can’t open the gates to spectators for his first Indianapolis 500 as steward of the iconic event.
The network is hoping to deliver a broadcast that educates what could be one of the largest audiences in race history while also turning some casual fans into avid ones.
Marco Andretti was 2 months old the last time his venerable racing family led the field to green at the Indianapolis 500.
The show is going on at Indianapolis, but it certainly isn’t the same. Indianapolis Motor Speedway is a ghost town. The pandemic forced the speedway to proceed with “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing” without spectators and their absence is clearly being noticed.
The former Formula One champion, who failed to qualify for the race last year in a spectacularly woeful effort by McLaren, has returned to Indianapolis Motor Speedway for a third attempt at winning.
The decision to allow local fans to watch the race live comes one day after Indianapolis Motor Speedway officials announced plans to reduce attendance capacity for this year’s race to 25%.