IBJNews

State receives 24 more tort claims for stage collapse

Back to TopCommentsE-mailPrintBookmark and Share

Indiana's attorney general says 24 more tort claims have been filed alerting the state of possible lawsuits in the wake of last month's deadly State Fair stage collapse.

Attorney General Greg Zoeller's office says the new notices boost to 45 the total number of tort claims received to date. Some include multiple claimants from the same family, while other family members filed their tort claims separately.

The filings are required before a lawsuit can be filed seeking a share of the $5 million available to victims under Indiana law.

More than 40 people were injured Aug. 13 when stage rigging collapsed in high winds before a scheduled State Fair concert by country duo Sugarland. Four people died immediately and three others later died from their injuries.

Some victims have filed suit against the state, saying the $5 million cap violates state and U.S. law.

State officials have already outlined a plan to distribute a separate fund of donations to victims.

ADVERTISEMENT

  • This is not rocket science
    The state investigation of the state fair stage collapse is taking entirely too long.

    This tragedy happened on August 13th.

    This incident took seconds to happen.

    It took the media a week to uncover short comings in evacuation procedures and the stage, along with identifying those most likely responsible.

    It took two weeks to complete interviews of people in authority, hire public relations/engineering/policy experts and have analysis completed.

    Everything has been done except to have the state's written investigative report released to the public.

    The reports will not be unveiling anything we don't already know or suspect.

    It is now 47 days later and the investigation results have not been released.

    Get on with it and lets get the victims compensated and avoid the vulture lawyers and experts hired to cover the butts of those most responsible from preying upon the survivors and us taxpayers a second time.

Post a comment to this story

COMMENTS POLICY
We reserve the right to remove any post that we feel is obscene, profane, vulgar, racist, sexually explicit, abusive, or hateful.
 
You are legally responsible for what you post and your anonymity is not guaranteed.
 
Posts that insult, defame, threaten, harass or abuse other readers or people mentioned in IBJ editorial content are also subject to removal. Please respect the privacy of individuals and refrain from posting personal information.
 
No solicitations, spamming or advertisements are allowed. Readers may post links to other informational websites that are relevant to the topic at hand, but please do not link to objectionable material.
 
We may remove messages that are unrelated to the topic, encourage illegal activity, use all capital letters or are unreadable.
 

Messages that are flagged by readers as objectionable will be reviewed and may or may not be removed. Please do not flag a post simply because you disagree with it.

Sponsored by
ADVERTISEMENT

facebook - twitter on Facebook & Twitter

Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ on Facebook:
Follow on TwitterFollow IBJ's Tweets on these topics:
 
Subscribe to IBJ
ADVERTISEMENT