A spokesman says more than a dozen people have been taken to hospitals after they were sickened by fumes from gas-fueled power-washing equipment while working at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.
Fairgrounds spokesman Andy Klotz said 15 workers were power-washing floors at Exposition Hall about 12:30 p.m. Tuesday when two contract workers complained of lightheadedness. Two fairgrounds employees weren't affected. The 13 contract employees were taken to hospitals for treatment. Information on their conditions wasn't immediately available.
Klotz said the 74,000-square-foot building's doors were open but there was little wind to provide ventilation.
An official with contractor OnDemand didn't answer his phone.
Klotz says the building will be tested for carbon monoxide before people are allowed back in.