Workers erect steel on April 22, 1905, for what would become the L.S. Ayres flagship store at the southwest corner of Meridian and Washington streets. The store opened later that year and remained open as Ayres until 1992, when business troubles and a dispute with the city over delays in construction of the attached Circle Centre mall led the May Co. (which had purchased Ayres in 1986) to close the store. The mall finally opened in 1995 with the former Ayres spaced filled by the Parisian department store, which later became Carson’s, which is slated to close this spring. The photo is courtesy of the Indiana
Historical Society and is part of the W.H. Bass Photo Co. collection. More images are available at images.indianahistory.org.
Sources: Indiana Historical Society, IBJ research