Work to resume Thursday on fatal tunnel project

A utility company says construction will resume Thursday on a project to build a sewer tunnel 250 feet beneath Indianapolis where a worker was killed last week.

Citizens Energy Group spokesman Sarah Holsapple said the Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration never officially closed the Deep Rock Tunnel job site, saying the utility and contractor Shea-Kiewit JV stopped work out of respect to the family of 25-year-old William "Isaac" Simpson.

The Marion County coroner's office has ruled his death an accident, saying he died Friday of a "massive crushing blunt force traumatic injury of the head" on Friday. Citizens Energy has said no more information would be released about the accident itself until the investigation is finished.

Citizens Energy provides gas, water and sewer services for Indianapolis.

Please enable JavaScript to view this content.

Editor's note: You can comment on IBJ stories by signing in to your IBJ account. If you have not registered, please sign up for a free account now. Please note our updated comment policy that will govern how comments are moderated.

{{ articles_remaining }}
Free {{ article_text }} Remaining
{{ articles_remaining }}
Free {{ article_text }} Remaining Article limit resets in {{ count_down }} days.