IBJ’s sister publication, Indiana Lawyer, recently honored attorneys in the state with Leadership in Law awards. The program, in its 11th year, has recognized more than 300 lawyers for their commitment to serving their clients, their communities and their profession.
Members of the legal community were asked to nominate attorneys, with a minimum tenure of 20 years, who they feel have earned the title “distinguished barrister.” The response was overwhelming. It is exhilarating to read the ways these men and women have dedicated their lives to the practice of law and serving their communities. Their commitment to pay it forward—to mentor up-and-coming lawyers—generates optimism and confidence in the future of the legal profession.
Speaking of up-and-coming lawyers, nominees in this category demonstrate what it means to hit the ground running, and the impact they’ve had early in their careers should motivate all of us. Honorees selected as “up-and-coming lawyers” are balancing the early stages of developing a practice with a responsibility to do pro bono work and give back.
Those selected are impressive, and it was a privilege to honor them at a reception for all current and past Leadership in Law award honorees May 10 at the Columbia Club.
For the third year, Indiana University Maurer School of Law sponsored the Leadership in Law awards. And Reis-Nichols Jewelers joined as a sponsor this year.
You can read the profiles of this year’s honorees and see past honorees online at www.theindianalawyer.com. If you’re not a subscriber to the Indiana Lawyer and would like to be, you’ll find a significant discount offered for IBJ readers by going to www.theindinalawyer.com/ibjrate.
The individuals honored as Indiana Lawyer 2016 Leadership in Law distinguished barristers were:
• Arend Abel, partner, Cohen & Malad LLP, Indianapolis
• Judge Craig Bobay, Allen Superior Court, Fort Wayne
• Roderick Bohannan, senior staff attorney, Indiana Legal Services Inc., Indianapolis
• Murray Clark, partner, Faegre Baker Daniels LLP, Indianapolis
• Justice Brent Dickson, Indiana Supreme Court, Indianapolis
• Charles Dunlap, executive director, Indiana Bar Foundation, Indianapolis
• Julia Blackwell Gelinas, member, Frost Brown Todd LLC, Indianapolis
• Gregory Hahn, partner, Bose McKinney & Evans LLP, Indianapolis
• Thomas Hays, partner, Lewis Wagner LLP, Indianapolis
• Patricia McKinnon, attorney at law, Indianapolis
• Carol Lynn Terzo, arbitrator and mediator, The Mediation Option, Indianapolis
• Richard Thrapp, partner, Ice Miller LLP, Indianapolis
• Ronald Waicukauski, principal member, Price Waicukauski Joven & Catlin LLC, Indianapolis
• Frances Lee Watson, professor, IU Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Indianapolis
• Judge Van Willis, magistrate judge/senior partner, Kightlinger & Gray LLP, New Albany
The individuals honored as Indiana Lawyer 2016 Leadership in Law up-and-coming lawyers were:
• Michael Allen, associate, Ice Miller LLP, Indianapolis
• Michele Lorbieski Anderson, member, Frost Brown Todd LLC, Indianapolis
• Adam Bartrom, partner, Barnes & Thornburg LLP, Fort Wayne
• Matthew Bruno, partner, Kightlinger & Gray LLP, Indianapolis
• Jay Chaudhary, staff attorney, Indiana Legal Services Inc., Indianapolis
• Vanessa Davis, senior associate, Quarles & Brady LLP, Indianapolis
• Elizabeth Eichholtz, associate, Cohen & Malad LLP, Indianapolis
• Alex Gude, senior associate, Bingham Greenbaum Doll LLP, Indianapolis
• Sarah Jenkins, partner, Faegre Baker Daniels LLP, Indianapolis
• Ronan Johnson, associate, Taft Stettinius & Hollister LLP, Indianapolis
• Neha Matta, associate, Lewis Wagner LLP, Indianapolis
• Andrew McCoy, associate, Faegre Baker Daniels LLP, Indianapolis
• Ashley Osak, associate, Plews Shadley Racher & Braun LLP, Indianapolis
• Jennifer Tudor Wright, associate, Barnes & Thornburg LLP, Indianapolis
• Philip Zimmerly, associate, Bose McKinney & Evans LLP, Indianapolis
Congratulations to this year’s Indiana Lawyer Leadership in Law honorees. And thanks for reading and supporting IBJ Media news and information products—in print, online, on your mobile devices, and in your email inbox.•
Morris is publisher of IBJ. His column appears every other week.