- First Watch, a chain of breakfast and lunch restaurants, plans to open a 4,000-square-foot diner in Market Tower at 139 N. Illinois St. The restaurant, set to open this summer, would be the second Indianapolis location for the chain based in Bradenton, Fla. The restaurant is proposed for a block south of breakfast hot spot Le Peep and about two blocks northeast of Patachou. The plans call for an open-kitchen concept that draws attention to the chain's food preparation, which avoids deep fryers or heat lamps. The first local First Watch (opening soon) sits across 86th Street from The Fashion Mall at Keystone. The chain has more than 90 restaurants in 13 states and is growing rapidly. An earlier post is here.
- Village Cigar, a cigar and cocktail bar from the owners of Northside Social, plans to take a cozy 724 square feet at 6513 N. College Ave., in the same strip center as Northside Social and Northside Kitchenette. The new cigar bar, the first of its kind in Broad Ripple, is scheduled to open in mid- to late-May. It will share outdoor seating with the Northside Kitchenette, which closes at 3 p.m.
- Matt the Miller's Tavern, an upscale bar and restaurant concept with two locations in central Ohio, plans to take a prime 5,000-square-foot corner space in Carmel City Center at Rangeline Road and City Center Drive. Food offerings include Loaded Tavern Chips, Bavarian Pretzel Bites, steaks, pasta dishes and flatbreads. The chain also promises an extensive draft and bottled beer menu including local and regional brews.
- Menchie's, a self-serve frozen yogurt concept with more than 100 rotating flavors, plans a grand opening for Saturday, March 24, at Hamilton Town Center (the location is already open for business). It's the first Indiana location for the California-based chain, which claims it is the nation's largest such chain with 165 locations and another 200 in development. Menchie's will offer free frozen yogurt from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday.
- Jack in the Box is nearing completion on a restaurant at the northwest corner of 116th Street and Allisonville Road in Fishers. The chain has opened locations in Greenwood and Avon and is building two others in Indianapolis.
- Marco's Pizza is opening a new location in Brownsburg in the former home of a check-cashing operation. The chain plans to take 1,400 square feet at 1521 North Green St. (State Road 267), about a mile north of Interstate 74, in the same retail center as Boulder Creek Dining Co.