Beginning in 1926, L.S. Ayres and Co. decorated the entrance of its downtown store at the corner of Washington and Meridian streets with a five-story Christmas candle. It wished visitors “Merry Christmas” until 1961, when the candle was replaced with a giant wreath. For many years after that, Ayres continued to use images of the Christmas candle in its holiday advertising.
Source: Indiana Historical Society
Credit: This photo is courtesy of the Indiana Historical Society, Bretzman Collection. More images are available