Subscriber Benefit
As a subscriber you can listen to articles at work, in the car, or while you work out. Subscribe NowPresident Donald Trump on Thursday signed an executive order aiming to slash public subsidies to PBS and NPR as he alleged “bias” in the broadcasters’ reporting.
The order instructs the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and other federal agencies “to cease Federal funding for NPR and PBS” and further requires that that they work to root out indirect sources of public financing for the news organizations. The White House, in a social media posting announcing the signing, said the outlets “receive millions from taxpayers to spread radical, woke propaganda disguised as ‘news.'”
It’s the latest move by Trump and his administration to utilize federal powers to control or hamstring institutions whose actions or viewpoints he disagrees with.
Since taking office, Trump has ousted leaders, placed staff on administrative leave and cut off hundreds of millions of dollars in funding to artists, libraries, museums, theaters and others, through takeovers of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Trump has also pushed to withhold federal research and education funds from universities and punish law firms unless they agreed to eliminate diversity programs and other measures Trump has found objectionable.
The broadcasters get roughly half a billion dollars in public money through the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, and have been preparing for the possibility of stiff cuts since Trump’s election, as Republicans have long complained about them.
Paula Kerger, PBS’ CEO and president, said in a statement last month that the Trump administration’s effort to rescind funding for public media would “disrupt the essential service PBS and local member stations provide to the American people.”
“There’s nothing more American than PBS, and our work is only possible because of the bipartisan support we have always received from Congress,” Kerger said. “This public-private partnership allows us to help prepare millions of children for success in school and in life and also supports enriching and inspiring programs of the highest quality.”
In Indiana, the Legislature last week passed a $46 billion budget that eliminated appropriations for Indiana Public Broadcasting.
In its quest to cut $2 billion from the next biennial budget, lawmakers introduced a slew of last-minute spending cuts—including $7.35 million earmarked for public broadcasting. The nonprofit distributes those state appropriations to 17 radio and television stations that are affiliates of PBS and NPR.
While the state-level cuts were expected to have varying effects—those dollars represent upwards of 30% of some smaller stations’ budgets, but less for larger stations—the federal cuts add another layer of complication.
At Indianapolis-based WFYI Public Media, which includes television and radio operations and ranks as the largest public station in Indiana, state support in the fiscal year that ends June 30 is nearly 5% of the station’s annual operating budget. Federal funding, though, represents 11%.
And the cuts are expected hit harder at rural stations. Across the country, CPB grants represent about 17% of an average rural station’s revenue. For almost half of those stations, CPB grants make up at least a quarter of their revenue.
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting sued Trump earlier this week over his move to fire three members of its five-person board, contending that the president was exceeding his authority and that the move would deprive the board of a quorum needed to conduct business.
Just two weeks ago, the White House said it would be asking Congress to rescind funding for the CPB as part of a $9.1 billion package of cuts. That package, however, which budget director Russell Vought said would likely be the first of several, has not yet been sent to Capitol Hill.
The move against PBS and NPR comes as his administration has been working to dismantle the U.S. Agency for Global Media, including Voice of America and Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, which were designed to model independent news gathering globally in societies that restrict the press. Those efforts have faced pushback from federal courts, who have ruled in some cases that the Trump administration may have overstepped its authority in holding back funds appropriated to the outlets by Congress.
Please enable JavaScript to view this content.
I woould bet that he has never watched an educational program on PNS, nor listened to the news on NPR. He gets his education from those he likes telling him things. This is sad as these two entities do a marvelous job in education and news.
+1
+1
Trump would not know an educational program if it sat right in front of him. He is so afraid of any news organization which is not under his thumb and if he could we would only be allowed to watch Fox News which is no longer “Fair and Balanced” and has not been for quite awhile.
You are correct sir no legacy media has been fair and balanced for a decade! By their own surveys these organizations are made up of 90-95 percent democrat employees! So where’s the DEI? Things haven’t been the same since Obama changes the Smith-Mundt Modernization act!
Good for the administration. No reason for our tax dollars to fund these organizations.
Why though?
+1
A civics base course: the Executive branch cannot legally suspend Congressionally-appropriated funds. The Pres is free to advocate for different priorities in the FY 2026 budget, which begins Oct. 1. The current budget, he can’t cut. He’ll try, and he’ll fail.
+1 Rick S.
DOGE. = DUMB OLIGARCHIC GREEDY EXECUTIONER killing anything not MAGA CULT indoctrinated .
Trump simply does not like a conduit where facts and opinions other than his might slip out to the public.
Absolutely agree! God forbid there should be an informed citizenry that could see through his small minded BS….I can’t believe the abdication of the responsibility of Congress and the Supreme Court to reign him in. The U.S. was founded to be a representative democracy – NOT an autocracy.
Are we Great Again yet?
This would be easy to accomplish legally. All he has to do in convince Congress that they were wrong to legally require him to fund these programs.
My representation in Congress has rolled over and is playing dead while a King makes illegal decrees.
When somebody other than billionaires gets tax cuts, this might be worth cheering for, but until then this is just another way to screw over the little guy while “Winning” points with right wing media.