`

Memory Bank: Claypool Hotel before the fire

April 20, 2018

memory-bank-042018

The Claypool Hotel, at left, opened for business in 1853 at the northwest corner of Illinois and West Washington streets. It operated for more than a century, with this photo taken on Sept. 21, 1955. In 1969, just a couple of years after a renovation, a fire in a utility room—and the subsequent water used to fight the blaze—caused significant enough damage that the owners decided to demolish the building. The site was a parking lot until Melvin Simon & Associates (now Simon Property Group) opened Claypool Court and the Embassy Suites there in 1985. 

Sources: Indiana Historical Society, HistoricIndianapolis.com

The photo is courtesy of the Indiana Historical Society and is part of the Larry Foster Collection. More images are available at images.indianahistory.org.

ADVERTISEMENT
Comments powered by Disqus