The Rail Epicurean Market in downtown Westfield is doubling its size after being open for a little over a year.
Toby and Melanie Miles opened the eatery in April 2014 on the first floor of a renovated barn at 211 Park St. Melanie Miles said they wanted to include the second floor with the restaurant, but “didn’t want to jump the gun.”
The first floor offers seating for about 25 people and outdoor space in front of the barn also seats about 25. The renovated second floor will add space for 22 people and a bar for eight people.
Miles said the extra seating will help especially during the winter months when they lose about half their space from closing the outdoor area.
The project should be completed in September.
“We just wanted to get in there before it gets cold,” Miles said.
They have five employees now and will add more servers and staff for food preparation once the second floor opens.
The Rail offers a rotating menu of sandwiches, pastries, soups and salads. Several grocery items are also for sale, and beer and wine is offered. A few weeks ago, a Saturday brunch menu was introduced.
“We have a couple ideas of little things we might add to it,” Miles said about the food menu.
In other Hamilton County retail news:
- The $42 million Depot at Nickel Plate opened July 23. Dottie Couture Boutique, Brixx Wood-Fired Pizza and Yogurtz opened in the mixed use development earlier this year. Salon 7 and Flamme Burger have signed a leases for the building on the corner of 116th Street and Municipal Drive.
- Scott Wolf, owner of Wolfies Grill, is planning to open a 3,000-square-foot fine-dining restaurant called Italian House on Park at 219 Park St. in downtown Westfield.
- The Langton’s Irish Pub is expected to open Aug. 10 at Carmel City Center next to Matt the Miller’s Tavern. Both are owned and operated by CLB Restaurants. The 3,900-square-foot two-floor restaurant will feature Irish food and decor along with European beers on tap and live music.
- The Quirky Feather Confectionery is expected to open this summer. The 3,000-square-foot bakery, coffee shop and candy store will be near the corner of 116th Street and Guilford Road in Carmel.
- Yankee Candle Company is opening a 2,164-square-foot store at 13185 Harrell Parkway in Hamilton Town Center in Noblesville. The candle company has two other locations in Indianapolis and one in Carmel.
- Union City-based Wasson Nursery is constructing a 13,000-square-foot garden center on six acres at 13279 E. 126th St. in Fishers. Wild River Nursery previously occupied the site. Wasson Nursery is expected to invest $2 million in the new facility and hire 50 employees by 2017. The garden center is expected to open in April 2016.