A new wine-and-small-plates restaurant is coming to Carmel.
Stomping Barley is expected to open in 2,770 square feet at 14560 River Road, near the corner of 146th Street and River Road, before the end of the year.
The restaurant will feature a variety of international fine wines and craft beers. Small plates including appetizers, meats and cheeses, salads, flatbreads, sliders, tacos and desserts will also be served, according to owner Alesia DeBoer.
DeBoer said she and her husband regularly dined at similar restaurants when they lived in Phoenix, and noticed it was something the Indianapolis area lacked when they moved back to Indiana in 2010.
She said she plans to hire 10-15 employees for the restaurant.
In other North of 96th retail news:
• Crust Pizzeria Napoletana has reopened under new ownership in Carmel at 840 W. Main St. The new location has an expanded bar area and two patios.
The restaurant was previously located at 12505 Old Meridian St. The new owners are Carmel residents Dustin and Azin Brown. The menu still includes pizza, salad and appetizers.
• Fresh Indian Grill is planning to open at 1420 W. Main St. in Carmel. The restaurant will be in the same building as Crown Liquors in the Meridian & Main development by Browning Investments. Also in the Meridian & Main development, Fresh Cayenne will lease 2,187 square feet.
• Carmel will soon have a Smoothie King at 1366 S. Rangeline Road. The other Smoothie King location is on 96th Street in Fishers.
• Megan Danielle Skincare recently opened at 736 Hanover Place at City Center in Carmel. The store offers a variety of skin care services including facials, microdermabrasion, dermaplane, chemical peels, eyebrow and eyelash tinting, and waxing.
• Verizon Wireless recently opened its first "smart store" in the Indianapolis area. The 4,095-square-foot store is at 1950 Greyhound Pass in Westfield. Smart stores feature interactive zones for customers, like the Get Fit zone that promotes health and fitness products and the Amplify It zone focused on music and entertainment devices. Other smart stores are in Fort Wayne, Merrillville and Terre Haute.
• Great Clips is opening a location at 7268 Fishers Crossing Drive in Fishers.
• Books & Brews recently opened at 65 Boone Village in the Boone Village Shopping Center in Zionsville. It's the second location for the combined bookstore and brewpub. Check out IBJ's recent review of the hybrid.
• Kay Jewelers will open a store at 2438 N. Lebanon St. in Lebanon. Kay has stores in Indianapolis, Noblesville and Greenwood.