`

Property Lines - Scott Olson

Welcome to Property Lines, Indy's favorite source for neighborhood real estate news. Your host, IBJ real estate beat reporter Scott Olson, can be reached at solson@ibj.com.
Real Estate & Retail

Classic roadside diner finds new home at Angie's List

February 3, 2011

Angies List classic dinerThere's a new landmark at the Angie's List campus just east of downtown: A restored 1937 diner that served up greasy delights at a prominent corner in Cleveland in the 1940s and 1950s. Angie's List co-founder Bill Oesterle bought the classic diner to provide his staff with more lunch-time options and to help satisfy his need to restore old things, said Angie's List spokeswoman Cheryl Reed. He bought it from an Ohio company called Diversified Diners, which restored the exterior over several years. Angie's List has been working on the interior in a project that began when the diner arrived in November. The 33-seat diner, now dubbed The Sanitary Diner, was built by the Jerry O'Mahony Diner Company of New Jersey in 1937, and carries serial number 1121. It measures 48-feet long by 10-feet wide. It was once part of the American Diners chain, sitting at the corner of Euclid Avenue and 71st Street in Cleveland from 1941 to 1958, before a new owner moved it by train to Pennsylvania. For more on the American Diner's history and to check out before-and-after photos of the renovation, visit the Diversified Diners website. Angie's List plans to open the diner to the public if it can secure the necessary permits. (Staff photo / Perry Reichanadter)

ADVERTISEMENT
Comments powered by Disqus