New places to eat:
- El Rodeo is heading downtown. The popular Mexican restaurant chain with outposts all around the city plans to take over the former home of Red Eye Cafe along Meridian Street, next door to Claddagh Irish Pub.
- Vino Villa, a new wine bar and gift shop, is coming to Greenwood. Owner Paul Jacquin plans to open the 1,000-square-foot shop, which will offer gift baskets, wine tastings and dinner parties, at 200 N. Madison Ave.
- Hotcakes Emporium, a breakfast spot along Ditch Road south of 86th Street, plans to open a second location on the south side. The 3,500-square-foot restaurant is planned for the northwest corner of Bluff and Southport roads.
- Eggshell Bistro, a new breakfast and lunch restaurant, is scheduled to open in September in Carmel's City Center. The restaurant promises a variety of "healthy, rustic, fresh and often creative" dishes centered around the restaurant's namesake.
- Tony Sacco's Coal Oven Pizza is scheduled to open a new location at Greenwood Park Mall in mid-August. The Florida-based restaurant chain, which has a location at Clay Terrace, plans to take a space between Stir Crazy and T.G.I. Friday's.
- Subacos, a homegrown taco and sub shop with a location at College Mall in Bloomington, plans to open this month at the Greenwood Park Mall food court.
- Jack in the Box has finally pulled permits for its first local store, after first targeting the central Indiana market in 2009. The 3,000-square-foot restaurant is planned for U.S. 31 South and County Line Road.
- Mr. Dan's is opening another new location. The fast-growing local chain is adding a 2,000-square-foot restaurant along Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Street just south of 29th Street.
Dearly departed or departing restaurants:
- Jillian's plans to vacate its first-floor restaurant and bar space at 141 S. Meridian St. downtown, but continue operating an entertainment complex on the second and third floors. All the details are here.
- Hue, the restaurant and lounge at Washington and Pennsylvania streets downtown, has closed. Hue replaced the shuttered Taste of Tango in late 2010.
- The Glass Chimney, a fine-dining staple along Old Meridian Street just south of Main Street in Carmel, has closed.
- Ovation Audio-Video & The Mac Experience plans to open a new store in September at Greenwood Park Mall. The shop will be next door to T.G.I. Friday's.
- Staples, the office and school-supply staple, is building a new store near Lafayette Road and Interstate 65, in a center anchored by Walmart and Best Buy. The 14,300-square-foot store will replace a location along West 38th Street between Lafayette and Moller roads.
- Huntington Bank is building a new branch location along 96th Street just east of Interstate 69 on a site that was formerly home to a Noble Roman's restaurant.
- Windsor, a women's boutique, plans to open this month at Greenwood Park Mall. The shop is planned for the JC Penney corridor.