The Columbia Club formed in 1889 and had two homes on Monument Circle before the group spent $827,000 to construct the 10-story clubhouse it still uses today.
The L.S. Ayres department store opened at the southwest corner of Washington and Meridian streets in 1905 and within 20 years had become known for its festive Christmas-themed windows.
On Oct. 1, 1946, the Young Republicans Club protested the Office of Price Administration, an agency created in 1941 by President Franklin D. Roosevelt to prevent runaway prices, profiteering and hoarding during World War II.
This photo of an Indianapolis City Market vendor taken Oct. 6, 1923, shows the back side of the stands, with vehicles pulled up and fruit and vegetable crates tossed aside.
The 17-story building now known as Symphony Centre at 32 E. Washington St. was constructed in 1912 as the upscale Hotel Washington, a project developed by local hotelier J. Edward Krauss and designed by Indianapolis architecture firm R.P. Daggett & Co.
An amateur photographer, Walter Carpenter, captured the street scene on March 9, 1913, where Kentucky Avenue met the intersection of Illinois and Washington streets.
This Westfield photo was on a postcard mailed Aug. 24, 1911. At the time, the community was already more than 75 years old. It was settled in 1832 by Quakers who left North Carolina to protest slavery and established a stop on the Underground Railroad. They initially called the town—which was laid out with 48 […]
Mosaic Church and Irvington Vinyl and Books are in the building today.
At the time, it was considered the world’s largest piano recital—8,250 fingers on 825 pianists who played 125 grand pianos that were lined up inside Butler Fieldhouse (now known as Hinkle Fieldhouse) to open National Music Week in 1936.
This aerial view of the Indiana State Fair—taken on Sept. 5, 1938—showcases the midway as well as the Indiana Department of Conservation tent, which is touting its successful raccoon restocking program.
The Indiana Women’s Prison opened in 1873 on 15 acres about 1.5 miles east of downtown, where it remained until 2009.