During World War II and in the years after, the YMCA served as a gathering place and refuge for returning soldiers. In this photo taken on June 27, 1943, servicemen relax in a YMCA reading room. The photographer did not identify the location, but at the time, the Indianapolis YMCA was at 301 N. Illinois St. and hosted a number of events for members of the military. Today, the YMCA of Greater Indianapolis has 12 locations in central Indiana.
Source: Indiana Historical Society
This photo is courtesy of the Indiana Historical Society and is part of the Larry Foster Collection. More images are available at images.indianahistory.org.