The Oriole Trio performed each day in the Women’s Building during the 1929 Indiana State Fair. The band included Marjorie Call of Roachdale on the harp, Virginia Vannice of Danville, Illinois, on the cello, and John Taylor of Danville, Illinois, on violin. The Women’s Building was constructed in 1919 to display textiles, arts and baked goods during the fair. It was later renamed the Home and Family Arts Building and, in 2016, was renamed again to Indiana Arts Building. It’s still used during the fair to display artwork, photography, antiques, quilts and other crafts that adults enter into competitions. The Indiana State Fair runs through Aug. 18.
Sources: Indiana Historical Society, Greencastle Herald
Credit: This photo is courtesy of the Indiana Historical Society and is part of the J.C. Allen and Son Collection. More images are available at images.indianahistory.org.