Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb's newly revamped workforce training cabinet has received the green light from the U.S. Department of Labor.
A waiver granted last week will allow the state to continue receiving millions of dollars in federal funding for the job-training programs despite the changes Holcomb implemented.
Holcomb and Republican lawmakers overhauled the cabinet's membership this year. But the changes conflicted with federal guidelines, so Holcomb's office requested a waiver in March.
The 21-member Workforce Cabinet is a smaller group with more authority than the state's previous Workforce Innovation Council. Holcomb said it will better react to changes in the economy and meet the needs of employees and employers.
The waiver is approved for two years, starting July 1.
Business leaders and education officials on the board voiced concerns that businesses and schools aren't on the same page when it comes to preparing the next generation of workers. It's an issue Holcomb wants to focus on.
The group's members met for the first time in May. Cabinet Chairman Danny Lopez said the group has urgency because businesses are having trouble finding skilled workers to fill jobs in growing economy.