Madam C.J. Walker and Booker T. Washington were among those who participated in the dedication of the Senate Avenue YMCA, the first YMCA for African Americans in Indianapolis. Construction began in fall 1912 at the intersection of West Michigan Street and Senate Avenue, and Walker donated $1,000 to the effort. For 25 years, the Senate Avenue YMCA had the largest membership of any African American branch in the United States. The center closed in 1959 after the Fall Creek YMCA, its replacement facility, opened at West 10th Street and Fall Creek Parkway. That facility served as a YMCA until 2003.
Source: Indiana Historical Society
Credits: The image is courtesy of the Indiana Historical Society and is part of the Madam C.J. Walker Collection. More images available at images.indianahistory.org.