First Indiana fungal meningitis death reported

One person in Indiana has died as a result of the fungal meningitis outbreak, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday. A state official said the person was not from Indiana but received a contaminated steroid injection at an Indiana health care facility. The number of cases here has grown to 21 as officials track the outbreak to 170 patients in 11 states. The number of people possibly injected with the contaminated medication has increased to 1,568. The patients, who were being treated for pain and inflammation, received a preservative-free steroid called methylprednisolone acetate that contained a fungus.

Please enable JavaScript to view this content.

Story Continues Below

Editor's note: You can comment on IBJ stories by signing in to your IBJ account. If you have not registered, please sign up for a free account now. Please note our updated comment policy that will govern how comments are moderated.

{{ articles_remaining }}
Free {{ article_text }} Remaining
{{ articles_remaining }}
Free {{ article_text }} Remaining Article limit resets on
{{ count_down }}