The Indianapolis Catholic archbishop plans to publicly release the names of all the priests in his diocese who've faced substantiated allegations of child sexual abuse.
Wednesday's announcement by Archbishop Charles Thompson followed the Indianapolis Archdiocese's announcement that it's suspended a 79-year-old priest accused of abusing a child.
The archdiocese said the Rev. John Maung allegedly abused someone as a child decades ago.
Maung, who denies the allegations, retired in 2009 but continued assisting at archdiocese parishes. He's now suspended and barred from all public ministry pending an investigation.
Thompson said a review board will help compile a list for public release of all priests, living and dead, "with a substantiated claim of sexual abuse against a child or minor."
The archdiocese urges anyone abused by clergy to report that abuse.
Earlier this week, a Catholic diocese in northwestern Indiana released the names of 10 former priests who the diocese has deemed guilty of sexually abusing children.
The Diocese of Gary released the list Tuesday, the Times reported. The document also includes the number of allegations made against the priests and the actions taken by church officials. The information is based on diocesan records.
The list didn't report whether any of the men, seven of whom are dead, ever faced criminal prosecution for their alleged child sex abuse. Richard Emerson, Terrence Chase and George Kavungal are still living and have been removed from public ministry. Emerson had four allegations, Chase had one and Kavungal had six.
The list was made public after a scathing Pennsylvania grand jury report found that about 300 Catholic priests abused at least 1,000 children over the past 70 years. The report detailed sex abuse allegations against Raymond Lukac, who served at the Gary Diocese's Bishop Noll Institute.