Lillian and Frank Goodwin operated Apex Taxi Co. out of offices in Rooms 201 and 202 at the Walker building, which was once headquarters of the Madam CJ Walker Hair Care and Beauty Products Co. and is now Madam Walker Legacy Center. In this image, taken on May 24, 1943, drivers are lined up in front of the Walker building with their cars to pose for a photo. Apex was one of a few Black-owned taxi companies that operated in the city and used primarily Black drivers.
Sources: Indiana Historical Society, Madam Walker Legacy Center
Credit: This photo is courtesy of the Indiana Historical Society and is part of the Larry Foster Collection. More images are available at images.indianahistory.org.