Indianapolis firefighters battled a pair of fires Sunday night that displaced almost 20 residents. The first fire was reported just before 9 p.m. at Avalon Lake Apartments on the city's northeast side. A male resident returned home from the store to find his apartment in flames; he had been heating grease on the stove. Three other apartments also were damaged, and nine residents of the apartment complex now are in temporary housing. The second fire call came in around 10:20 p.m. Sunday at a private residence on Indianapolis' east side. A woman came back to her Dewey Street home after a Super Bowl party and found one of the bedrooms ablaze. Another woman who lives in the house says she left a candle burning and thinks one of her dogs knocked it over. The four adults and six children who live in the house were not home when the fire started, but two pit bulls died.